I can't stand my dog.

He's a year old.... black lab/boxer/pit mix, looks just like a lab.... Anyways, he has to be the stupiest dog I have ever met in my life and he is super annoying. I don't believe in getting rid of pets, so I'm stuck.. He's clumsy, doesn't listen that great, barks at nothing and is just super obnoxious. We have a 5 year old pit bull terrier who is the best dog in the world! Never ANY problems with her, she's sweet, gentle, great and CAREFUL around the kids etc. Well, we trained them the same way.... What in the world can I do about this dumb mutt? lol

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I have a love hate relationship with my Yorkie, he is a pain in the butt but I can't live without him!

Answer by older at 4:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Maybe if you have a family member that loves animals as much as you do and can give you a break for a little while?
    It seems he may still be in the puppy stage, being only a year old. It may take some time for him to learn from the other dog... Wish I had some actual advice, I'm at a loss.. We have 3 dogs, and one is fairly new to our family, but she's adapted really well by learning from the other 2..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's because girls are smarter than boys.

Seriously, he's still in the puppy stage. Hopefully he'll mature before you kill each other. I have a 7 month old male mastiff. He does well with his commands from obedience class, but the puppy stuff still drives me crazy. He's now too big for the biggest crate we can find, so each time I come home I get to clean the house.
    CrazyMom5480

Answer by CrazyMom5480 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Most dogs are very obnoxious at a year of age, so my guess is that it is an adolescent stage. And it is possible your other dog didn't go through this stage (albeit unlikely) and it is also possible that your other dog was just as goofy in his teenage years and you have forgotten. That does happen all the time.

I will tell you most of the dogs go to shelters around 9 months to 18 months because it is the hardest stage. I say give him some time to grow up, and in the meantime be very clear on the boundaries and your house rules. And last, don't be too hard on him because animals have good radar for resentful feelings from us and it only makes them more difficult.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I love him, just stand stand the mutt!! hehe. I will give him time, I do beleive that one day he will be a sweetie... it's just hard holding on!
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree with crazymom. He is still in the puppy phase. I have a golden retriever, he just turned three and settling down now. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You could lock him in a room with my kitten and see who wins. We don't call her "satan's best friend" for no reason.

I know it's hard when they are so young. He will grow up and all of a sudden you'll be saying "wow, when did you calm down." It happened with our crazy mutt. And she became the best dog ever.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• He is a lab....thats their nature! lol
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010