How long for her to latch on?

I had my baby girl Tuesday woohoo! The day I had her I tried to breastfeed but just wasn't taken it the next day i had to be put to sleep for my tubal the doctor advise me not breastfeed for 24hrs because of the meds I was given. I was told to pump and dump so we had to formula feed. i have been trying to get her to latch on since then but she want. I was told she would eventually latch on but I am having to pump just so she get can get breast milk. I need Help!!!!!!!

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 5:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a TON of trouble with breastfeeding. You need for the people around you to be supportive. Have you talked to a lactation consultant?
    Since you're pumping, you know exactly how much you're producing. As long as you can pump 2oz from each side, you can use a nipple shield. You can buy one of these at target, BRU, or a lactation boutique. They are silicone like most bottle nipples, so it eases the transition from bottle to breast when your baby has been introduced to bottles. It also helps your nipples to not be so sore! Once you get one, make sure it is placed securely over your nipple. Express a small amount of breastmilk into the shield. If necessary, squeeze a little out onto your baby's lips so she knows what it is. It should be easier to get her to latch on with the shield. It's still challenging though, and can take a little while to transition to the bare nipple. Good luck, and don't give up :)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Congrats on the baby. I had my tubal done a couple of hours after i had my 4th baby this past April and i also had to be put to sleep. I was given the opportunity to feed David before i got the tubal done, but he had no problem latching on. I was given Morphine after my tubal but was still able to BF. I would just keep trying to have her latch on. Have you talked with a lactation consultant? Its awesome that you are so determined to breastfeed. My second child was born with Down Syndrome and could not latch on. I pumped for 7months everyday just to give him breastmilk. I am all for Breastfeeding, but dont strress if you have to supplement with formula also. I did with my first 2 boys, but was finally sucessful with my 3rd and 4th boy, i had no issues with them latching on. There are some lactation consultants that will come to your house and work with you. I would ask your OB if they can recommend one. Good luck!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Congratulations first of all! And she will get it, breastfeeding is not an easy thing for you or the baby. Just keep trying and talk to a lactation specialist. Also, they have what are called nipple gaurds that you can purchase. This will help her learn to latch on to you. I used them with all 3 of my children and it worked great and I didn't have to use it for very long! Good luck!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010