What to do with our final food stamps benefits?

I'm sure this month will be the last we'll get food stamps. My husband has started a new job where he makes almost 2 times what he was making previously. And it comes with health care benefits which me and the kids also qualify for. So it looks like we will be done with PA indefinitely. Yay us!! So what do we buy with these final food stamps? Do we stock up on can goods because they last longer? Or meats because they are more expensive? Or what do you suggest? We get about $400, family of 6.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Shopping

• Oh my, congratulations on your good news!

I'd stock up on the very best sales, so that I could get the most for the money. That way, you'll end up with a variety of groceries - canned, dried/boxed, and meats to divide and freeze ... and all of those things will help your family for months to come!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Definitely the way Alice said it. That way, you'll be able to spend less on groceries every week and put money into savings every week - and if you did happen to end up in a bad situation again, you'll have a little cash to fall back on.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 5:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Check this in your state laws, but in the state of Kentucky once the benefits are on your personal EBT card, they are there permanently. They don't expire, they don't go away...only time they would is if you don't use the card AT ALL for one year. So what I would do if I knew we'd be making good money and didn't "need" the foodstamps is save them. Go and buy a pack of gum of a soda once a month to keep it active and keep the rest for a rainy day. (i.e. you go to the store and get a bunch of food and then go out of town for the weekend. when you get back, the fridge shorted and all the food spoiled and now you have nothing in there and have to buy all new food)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would stock up on non perishables and fill your freezer with meat.

Good for you! Congrats to your husband on scoring such a choice job!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Stock up on non-perishable food! COngrats1
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• if it were me, i would stock up on whatever we go threw the most. That way, you know it will get used before it went bad.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Can goods and pasta, rice anything that will last for awhile.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i would get your meats there the most in i would found the best deals
    nikkiginn210

Answer by nikkiginn210 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would buy what you go through the most.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Stock UP
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 7:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2010