How to litter box train a rabbit??

Ok I know this may sound weird, but I just got a house rabbit that doesn't do well in cages. He does better just roaming the house. I need to get him litter box trained asap. He leaves his little pellets EVERYWHERE! And I don't want to get rid of him as he is a Christmas gift for my step daughter. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Grayson

thank you

H3ath3r89

Asked by H3ath3r89 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pets

• It takes patience, I had rabbits.Confine her to a small area with the litterbox, like a bathroom/laundry room. That will help for starters. Second, can he wear a leash so that he can bsupervised when he is out of his area? If she has an accident, yell "NO" and take her immediately to her box.

Rabbits like boxes in corners, and put in it a handful of hay on top of newspapers. You really cant use the normal pet litters because they are not as safe, rabbits like to nibble. Keeping the litterbox clean will encourage him to use it more. Spaying or neutering the rabbit will also help.

Rabbits like to sit in their boxes too, if you find her sitting there, give her a treat she really likes to reinforce that behavior.

Rabbits can be territorial, so if you set up a "litterbox area" never force your rabbit in or out of out, or move them from it. Wait for the rabbit to come to you, and only clean the box when they are not using it.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• MAke sure you use a recycled paper or pine litter.
    Rabbits eat their poop and re-poop it out. He'll need something safe to eat if you can get him trained

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Same as a cat, I had one and it trained very easy. Use a litter box, that's all I used and clean it daily or more often if needed.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i had a rabbit that was litter trained i didn't train him i just put a litter pan out and he started using it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Thank you all very much I appreciate it. I have a litter box down now but he seems to want to sleep in it instead of use it lol. Thanks again!
    H3ath3r89

Comment by H3ath3r89 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Awesome thanks so much I will do this. He is also kind of skittish will he grow out of that after time? We actually just got him today and he already seems to be doing better. But I wanted to know if he will ever come completely out of that faze? Thanks again so much
    H3ath3r89

Comment by H3ath3r89 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010