christmas shopping for nieces and nephews

what's an appropriate amount to spend on a christmas gift for nieces and nephews? We are very low on funds this year, but are expected to get the kids something for christmas because everyone else is getting our kids something.

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 5:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• So you have six total? That adds up quickly! How many households are the kids in? I think that the group gift might be a good option if there are several children per a household. Family fun night is a good option. Add a board game, a movie and snacks into a basket and call it a day. You should be able to do that for less than $30 if you find deals (Toys R Us and Target have both had board games on sale lately)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Can you just get a family present, like a tin of popcorn or a homebaked something like cookies and bring it saying "it's only for the kids"? I mean, some people are really stressed financially this year and you shouldn't go crazy trying to be "cheap but nice". That's so hard.
    Anonymous

• How old are the kids?
    tracimed

Answer by tracimed at 5:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• there is a 13 year old, and the other 5 are under 5.
    FinleyFirst

Comment by FinleyFirst (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think that just getting them something is what matters, you're a mom and you know how you and your child appreciate the gifts others get your child, I'm sure they will feel the same.
    augbaby2

Answer by augbaby2 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'm going for around five bucks for my cousins' kids this year because there are a lot of them and I'm also buying gifts for a friend's kids who cant' afford them. So that's a ton of kids plus mine to pay for! I know it sounds cheap, but Dollar General has a cheaper versions of a lot of stuff and it's not bad quality a lot of it. I got my kids "filler toys" from there and a lot of them are $5-$10. If you are really strapped for money, though, I think it's totally fine to do a coloring book and a box of crayons. All young kids love that. Or one of those wood puzzles.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• For the 13 year old, you cannot go wrong with scapbook stuff. You can get materials at the Dollar Store. I agree that the under 5 would love coloring books or a touch and feel board book. The over five would probably like crafts too. A small can of playdo can go a long way or construction paper and popsicle sticks, cotton balls and glitter. Good luck and Merry Christmas
    tracimed

Answer by tracimed at 6:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• shop at dollar tree everythings $1 and they have nice stuff
    Anonymous