How do I keep my ds from getting into the cabinets?!

My son will be 1 in a week. He has recently discovered he can get into the cabinets and pull things out of them! How do I get him to stop doing this? I've tried moving him from the situation, distracting him, and even popping his little hand. Nothing works! My family lives with a family member who will not let us put locks on the cabinets and I'm scared my baby is going to get hurt. We are moving out on our own with our tax return, but what can I do until then. He is driving his mama crazy!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used to use the old wooden spoons to put thru the handles when my kids were little. Am I dating myself?? YIKES! I think they have locks for that now.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I'm not sure if they won't let you use cabinet locks. They make cabinet locks where you don't have to drill into the wood if they have the right type of handles, you just sortof tie the handles together where they can't open them. Though this also makes it more of a pain for YOU to get into the cabinets. Otherwise a baby gate to keep them out of the kitchen? Or a baby gate to keep him in a particular room. There's always the pack-n-play option, but my son hated the pack-n-play (unless he was asleep.)
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would simply tell them look... its my sons safety or your precious cabitnets, what do you prefer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• If the cabinets have any type of knob or handle, there are locks you can get that do NOT require holes. They wrap around two handles and keep them cabinets from opening.

Also, see if you can get one cabinet emptied for your son's use. Put some things in it that he can play with and redirect him to "his" cabinet. I store all my daughter's cups and bowls in hers as well as a few "kitchen" toys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• my DD likes to investigate things too we ended up spending a little extra to get a wide gate for out kitchen...but b4 we had that we gave her own cabinet to put her toys in....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yeah , they have locks that are magnetic so no drilling , can get them at LOWES or HOME DEPOT.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• If locks are completly out of the question, try a ruber band. it works at my moms.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008