Sweet Potatoes is all he wants?

My 7mo. old son is Breastfed, but he wasnt gaining enough weight so i called in an OT and dietitian. I tried all kinds of baby food with him and even some table food. So far the only think i can get him to eat without stressing him out is sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie. I dont want to turn him orange, but the dietitian says at this point we want him to eat whatever he will take to get calories in him. He only weighs 12lbs 10oz. Has any other moms experienced this and did your baby eventually start to eat more variety of foods and gain weight. I have 3 other boys and never had problems with them like this. It took me 4 weeks to get him to take breastmilk from a bottle so we can add fortifier to it for extra calories. I am hoping for imporvement and am working everyday towards that with him. I love him and am very worried because he is so skinny. I feel like helpless and like im a bad mom:(

team21

Asked by team21 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would consult the doctor on the best way to do this.

Answer by older at 5:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I already consulted the doctor. We have occupational therapy, physical thereapy for developmental delay, and a dietitian comming into my house working with us. I was just asking if any other moms have experienced this.......i already know what to do......it is just not happening as fast as i would like.....i know i need to be patient, but its not easy when its your child.
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am sorry mom, can't help you there I have never encountered this, wish you good luck and hope someone can relate.

Answer by older at 5:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son was the same way, and actually only liked sweet potatoes and ate sweet potatoes until he was about 9 months. If he's getting breast milk, he'll get his need vitamins. Add baby cereal to the sweet potatoes dont make it too thick. Look for foods that taste similar. With my son I would switch between yams and sweet potatoes and then I would mix them with baby cereal. This way he'll get more vitamins and more calories. Thats what I did with my son. When they're young your more concerned with them eating. I promise he wont turn orange. My son will only eat mac and cheese at 1yr, but in the moring I give him oatmeal and half banana and milk. that way he's getting his needed vitamins. Then I let him eat as much mac and cheese that his heart desires because he's small already. Some kids are picky and may picky for the rest of their lives.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Actually, MBM is more calorie dense than baby foods. A 7 month old would not be eating food for nutritional purposes-it's more for sensory input-learning how do deal with different textures on the tongue and in the mouth (OT or ST is usually involved in the process of there are concerns). If weight gain is the primary concern, why are they not instructing you to nurse more or express and fortify the MBM to increase the caloric density? I have been an Nicu nurse for 30+ years- Are they trying to R/O FTT?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son's dad was this way.. he would ONLY eat sweet potatoes... and his mom said that his skin did get a bit rosy.., but he was okay.. and he has no issues anymore... Just keep working on it.. find things that are similar in taste, texture and color, etc.. and keep moving on from that... like try pumpkin and then a different squash.. and so on.. my son has some eating issues and that's what works for him.. there's actually even a book written on this method, but I forget the name.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• (continued... ) and BTW, as a mom of a child with eating issues... I want to remind you that you are a wonderful mom to care for your little guy so much... you are NOT a bad mom.. My son is skinny too because of his serious eating issues and I'm constantly pumping calories into him... so take heart.. I know what you are going through. :)
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Speak to an IBCLC, or at least a LLL leader. They often have lots of helpful ideas. His weight does seem a bit low for his age, BUT, the real question is, is he gaining at all? Is he losing at all? Is his gain following his curve?

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head this late at night while exhausted is, have you tried offering avocado?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Awwwwwwwww, you are not a bad mom:) You try to do everything possible to help out your child:)
    And what if he wants to eat only sweet potatoes? Be happy he likes something:) Try to mix it with baby rice or baby porridge. So it's not gonna change i's taste but it will be more calorie for him.
    I have an interesting eating habit as well. There are months when I like to eat the same kind of food day after day. And one day I just don't want it anymore. I don't think it is a big problem. He will change his taste.
    You just have to make sure he gets all the calories and nutritions he needs:)
    He will grow big and clever:) They all do:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Try mixing other baby foods with the sweet potatoes and gradually add less and less sweet potatoes until you have a different food. also mixing rice cereal with the sweet potatoes can add a few extra calories to his diet. Good luck honey, and NO you are NOT a bad mom. Just keep your head up, follow doctors orders and keep trying.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 11:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2010