baby has screaming fits when tired

My 4 month old son is incredibly difficult to put to sleep. I feel like I have tried everything. I've sung to him, rocked him, played music, put on his mobile above his crib, left him laying alone. Nothing works and he has these screaming fits often. He has so much trouble falling asleep it's incredibly stressful I need some advice. I don't understand why it takes him sometimes an hour to fall asleep and he continues screaming and crying the whole time. Nothing seems to soothe him it's crazy. Anyone having similiar problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried moving his bedtime earlier? Sometimes when babies are overtired, they react this way more often.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes, most children will do this when they are overtired. It's really difficult, I understand. They work themselves up and it makes it more difficult for them to get to sleep. Many parents misread this and think it means that the child isn't tired at all, when in fact it's exactly the opposite.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree it sounds like he's just WAY exhausted. Check for signs that he's tired about 90-60 minutes before you currently put him to bed. Also you should try and get into a bedtime routine now. I know he's only 4 months but it's still a habit that will help now and later on. I know as well that there are CD"s that you can get that are supposed to help. Good Luck momma!

PS there's nothing wrong with putting him in bed by himself and closing the door. Just check on him every few minutes to make sure nothing has changed.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Try swaddling him and see if that helps. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (at night), diaper change,  lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.  Try again to establish a routine.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I vote for the routine as well. Try to set a time to sleep. Feed him before going to sleep, put some warm sleeping beg on him. It is good if he has his own room so when he falls asleep no one can disturb him. They usually keep waking themselves up when they are overtired. Try to find a calm place to put him asleep. Put him in his cod, make the room dark, don't put anything interesting around him that can entertain him. If you let him cry in his room it is only for 10 minutes. And after he falls asleep. It is better to them to sleep than keep waking up themselves.
    I hope he will find his routine:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2010