My fiance has stopped drinking over a year ago. We try very hard to watch sodium levels, fat, calories, etc. I was just reading about a mom with liver disease. does anyone know and can tell me what causes amonia levers to go up with cirrohiss of the liver and what can i do to prevent them. they are no fun. What are we doing wrong to prevent these amonia levels to go up? PLEASE WE NEED HELP.

cherylntim

Asked by cherylntim at 6:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Health

• Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can cause liver damage which causes amonia levels to increase so make sure to stay away from the drinks.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Ammonia levels go up, when the liver and or kidney are no longer able to filter properly. High ammonia levels can be incredibly dangerous. I had a friend total a car when he blacked out from this. He was also in the midst of liver failure (85% cirrociss) due to a blood disorder.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Stay away from alcohol!!!!! It drives the ammonia level up. The liver has the ability to rejuvenate itself, if given the chance, but it can take a long time.
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 1:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010