Using "santa" this time of the year as a means to get your kids to behave...tacky?

today when my 4 year old just would not listen to me and behave i pretended to call santa on the phone to tell him not to bring her any presents..she fell for it and went and cleaned up her room like i asked....so is using "santa" this time of year as a means to get your gets to behave tacky or effect parenting tool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• Nah! Santa was created for that very reason;)
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't say tacky, no ... but by doing that you're undermining your own authority as the parent. Your child needs to behave because her parent tells her to behave. What are you planning on doing after Christmas? No, I absolutely do not find it an effective parenting tool, not at all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well, it won't work very long, that's for sure. And what does it teach her? Really? I agree with Alice, you're undermining your own efforts. You're the parent. She needs to pick up her room because you told her to pick up her room, not because she is promised toys from a fictional character.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Do what works LONG TERM, not what's easiest in the short term. Santa? It's a short-cut, it teaches nothing. It won't help in getting her to learn to do what you tell her to do.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• How is that helpful? Yes, I understand - she responded to the threat. And that's what it was, it was the threat of not getting presents. But how does it help her to learn to behave? It's not tacky, but it's sure not good parenting.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• So she should listen because if she doesn't, Mommy will call and tell on her? You're kidding, right? Why doesn't she have to listen because Mommy told her to listen? It's kind of like saying "you can have $1 today or you can have $1000 in a month" ... you took the immediate reward, the easy way to get her to behave ... and in the long run, it won't pay off.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• do what works, the season is short, you can't use it for long
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I do not think it is tack at all. Sometimes you just need a lil extra something to help you. It is not bad, I would not do it at the 1st sign of your child not doing something you want them to do. I would call it a last resort. Merry Christmas!!
    ErinsMomma1

Answer by ErinsMomma1 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• So silly for parents to use Santa as a tool to get children to do as they're told. So silly to make Santa the authority in your household instead of having the parent be the authority in the household. What then? Does the Easter Bunny become the authority in April?
    Children thrive on consistency. Maintaining consistent behavioral expectations and consistent consequences and consistent accountability year round will decrease "seasonal" behavior problems ... and will increase positive behaviors permanently. Santa doesn't parent in my house, I do.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If it worked than good.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010