Mother's Worst Nightmare Revisited

Just a quick rundown for those who didn't read my original post on November 9. My son-who is 35-went into liver failure and kidney failure last Feb-March. They told him he was going to die within 2 months; and after we got him to a major hospital-they sent him home with a 10% chance of living past August. Since November 9; we have had one more really bad scare. I was sleeping on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving; when at 3:30 a.m. my roommate came into my bedroom and told me there was blood on the living room floor. I got up and walked out to the livingroom not knowing what I was going to see. There was a HUGE pool of blood on the floor; about half the size of our sofa sized coffee table! I asked where Travis was-roommate said he was upstairs. I went up to his room and walked in not knowing what I was going to see; here was Travis laying on his side-smoking a cigarette-just as calm as calm could be. I asked him where the blood came from; he told me it came from his stomach! I asked if I could see his stomach and he pulled up his shirt-nothing was there. I asked again where the blood came from; he told me he had vomited it up! So needless to say; I talked him into going to the ER right then-because I knew that if he did it again-he probably wouldn't live till he got to the hospital!

At the hospital they started him on I.V.s and took some blood for lab tests; did a rectal exam; after which the Dr. came to talk to me and told me that if he didn't quit drinking he was going to die! I told him that I knew that-if he could get that through Travis' thick head he might make it! Then he told me that he was sending Travis to Eugene; about 70 miles north of us. They had a gastroenterologist on call there that had agreed to see Travis.
So I went home-it was snowing that night-and sat there waiting to hear that Travis had got to Eugene okay. I didn't have the gas to go up there-and didn't think I could make it with no snow tires or chains. It took 8 hours for Travis to get to Eugene!

Once he got to Eugene; they put him in ICU; and prepped him for an endoscopy. I called there about 4 p.m. and talked to the Dr. and the nurse-both of them told me that he was doing fine; and the Dr. said that they had not been able to find anything with the endoscopy. So they put him on meds to stop any blood loss that he was having from anywhere and watched him over night. His father picked him up the next day and I met him half way.

I can't tell you the difference in my son! He came home and slept for two days; then he got up-took a shower-and hasn't stopped since! He is wonderful! His appetite has come back-I can't keep enough food in the house for him! Thank God! He hasn't had a drink-and is determined not to have another drink or to take another pain pill! He is taking vitamins-and concentrating on building his strength back up on his left side; due to the surgery he had on his collarbone! My daughter says he threw up his demons-he is so nice and considerate now!
She used to spend hours in her room because he seemed to target her with his hatefulness and disrespect! That's all gone! So I want to thank you all for your prayers and support! It meant a lot to me to get the positive feedback I did when I first told my story! I needed it so badly-because I wasn't getting it at home! Thank you and God Bless you!

MamaAlice54

Asked by MamaAlice54 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Thats a wonderful story i'm really happy for you and your family
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 7:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i'm so glad he's doing better, i hope he stays on the right track.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 7:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Prayers were answered it sounds like :)
    And I am so very happy for you, him and your daughter. I hope and pray that he will stay as he is now :)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Wow, more blessings to you and your family. I'm glad he is doing so well. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• great news! Hoping it continues! prayers going out to your family!~
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am so happy for you. Hugs!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Thank you! Yes prayers were answered once again! NOBODY will ever convince me that there isn't a God watching over each and every one of us. He has been too real in my life!
    MamaAlice54

Comment by MamaAlice54 (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yay! God absolutely answers prayers. THis is the best thing I've heard all day, thanks for sharing mama. God bless.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• What wonderful news.You are so right,God does answer our prayers and watches over us.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010