spankings

when is it ok to spank? during certain situations, certain ages, or never? whats your thoughts

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 7:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Each kid is so different. I spanked my oldest a handful of times- only after repeated warnings and redirection did not stop the behavior or for blatant disrespect or in dangerous situations-spanking does work if reserved for only the worst offenses and not just lashing out...My second one never required a spanking. They are 23 and 20, both upstanding citizens.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Many studies have shown that spanking is ineffective. Everyone should do what they feel is right, but I don't spank.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We think if he chooses to do something dangerous that could affect his life.. when I was young I laid in the middle of the road as "fun" or a joke, I should have been spanked, otherwise, I don't plan on spanking for misbehavior..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I do spank occasionally but it has to be something pretty seriouse with several warnings for me to do that such as... running out in the street, running of in a store, bad mouthing etc. My parents spanked me as a child & i am so glad they did because i was a little rebel & it helped keep me in line.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I spank for attitudes more than actions.
    A distracted child vs a rebellious child. Neither is listening or obeying, only 1 deserves a spanking. IMO
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• at MY house. When they did something dangerous. Like dart out into the street. Normally we use natural consequences, time outs or privilege loss.

I was spanked as a child with no ill effects. I just prefer not to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I use to spank whenever my then three year old would not listen to me. Don't touch etc. Now she is five and she just laughs at me now.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 7:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am the warning queen. I give gentle reminders, then stern warnings galore. I even fall for the "please mommy one more chance" pleadings. But if its obvious I am being walked over I do spank as does my husband. They're last resort measures to ensure authority, respect, and safety.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We don't spank so there is never an appropriate time for it in our home. My son is very well behaved logical consequences and loss of privledges seem to work well for him. My older step kids were never spanked both are in their mid 20s and doing well in life so it works for our family.

Consistancy is the most important thing when it comes to raising kids. If kids know they have a 50/50 shot at discipline they might take the chance and continue with the bad behavior so no punishment is going to be effective with them. If they know mom and dad are going to always follow through they will think twice and change their behavior most of the time. I know many spankers with kids I will not be around. They are bratty and don't listen mom and dad are not consistant. I know many others who are like us with very well mannered kids they are consistant with the methods they use.
    Anonymous

• Spanking is primitive and ineffective. Time out methods for bad behavior have been researched and proven to be very effective.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010