How do I get my 1 1/2yr old to not wake up in the middle of the night?

He is in a toddler bed and goes to bed great. but around 2 in the morning he will wake up and come in our room. I will put him back to bed and he stayes there until around 4 and up again. He doesn't really want anything so what do I do to keep him in bed? Please help!!!

sissy3012

Asked by sissy3012 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ive always shut my sons door...so up until recently...he didnt know how 2 open it! he would bang on the door,....so i would explain 2 him he needs 2 sleep and when its time 2 get up we will play! he sleeps through the night and when he wakes up..if he does....hes put right bk into bed! was he ready 2 get out of the crib!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i keep my 22mos door shut all night. then when daddy goes to work he unlatches her door in the morning so when she gets up she can then come wake me up, but keep all other doors locked for safety. before that she would knock on door to get out, in the middle of the night we would go and set her right into bed again and tell her night night, no other talking or snacks and such, just right to bed.
    2babygirls_mom

Answer by 2babygirls_mom at 1:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had the same problem when mine was that age but he was still in a crib so it was just crying and such and he would ask to eat! He has a big appetite but thats no excuse he ate plenty fine in the daytime. He would only listen to my fiance and I began to get discouraged. My mother told me all children are different and he finally started sleeping through the night a little before his 2nd birthday. FINALLY. And thats when we got him a big boy bed, because we decided that he was ready. Again all kids are different I wish you the best of luck but all I can offer is patience, and like other moms said definitely no conversation a simple "time for bed" or "goodnight" will do, and absolutely no eating lol or it will become a nightly habit for a while. Good Luck!
    Candis625

Answer by Candis625 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008