Is it ok to say no to a playdate invitation?

My 5 yr old daughter was invited to a classmate's house. She said she didnt want to go. I had never really heard her talk about this girl so I decided to be honest and left a message that she really didnt go on alot of playdates because she is shy and uncomfortable with kids she doesnt know well. Again, I was honest but I am really embarrased about my reply and wonder if I made a big mistake. I know its the truth but I feel like a weirdo now. I didnt have any idea that it was ok to ask if I could tag along on the playdate but I have twin 3 yr olds and cant really take my daughter to the playdate without them anyway. Please help me feel better!

4mmom

Asked by 4mmom at 7:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if your daughter doesnt wanna go then she doesnt wanna go. maybe she doesnt even like that girl.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's not against the law to decline a playdate hun, you didn't lie so don't worry. My mom always says Tell the truth & shame the devil!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes, it's fine to say no. But your excuse may lead to a lack of invitations in the future. It really is ok to say "I'm sorry, but not today".
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If your daughter isn't comfortable going then you did the right thing! And anyone should appreciate honesty and maybe if she gets to know this little girl better she will want to go. You could also offer to have the little girl to your house for a couple of hours. Of course with twin 3 year olds I could understand not wanting to add an extra child! HA!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• its okay to say no
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I don't think you should feel bad - she didn't want to go and you told the truth.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Absolutely o.k. to turn it down!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes....I dont know all the parents so unless I do, I say no.
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 11:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• awww, I think your message was fine. I am sure the mommy understands. You could call her back & ask if they would like to come to your house one day
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yeah I prefer honesty. But really what would you do lie? THat is not really good.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2010