Playdates????

I am a grandmother who now has custody of my 3 almost 4 year old granddaugher. My daughter died earlier this year.
With my children we never did "playdates" we would just visit and take our kids or our kids would meet up in the yard and play. Things have really changed.
I am shying away from playdates because I do not know how comfortable the mother and I would be during the playdate. The way I understand it is mothers go on playdates with their children. Is this correct? I would love to have one of LO friends over, but I do not know about entertaining the mother for an hour or two. We do meet other mothers and fathers at the park and it works out well because we do not have to talk and interact continually.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I also feel awkwaard socially on platdates sometimes as well I have some old friends who also have kids she gets along well with them but I find the local park or library are good places to take the children dont worry about socializing them they will soon have friends in school or activities you dont have to rush things if you invite the parents over just have plenty of snacks and music for the apmosphere host as if it were a mini-party dont build it up. My sympathy for your bereavement it is awesome you stepped in to raise your grandkids.
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i feel the same way u do..if anything,just talk about the kids, and let them start a conversation,,i dont know anyne around us to make a playdate with.i even tried setting up ones online...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss. Some parents are not comfortable just leaving thier children, but maybe give a playdate a try or if you know the other childs parent well enough try something like "Hey I figured you may want some free time for yourself so why not leave Abby here for a couple hours with me & Julie while you get some shopping done".
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am actually a big fan a play dates. I've met a few mommys throught the librarys public "Baby reading time" from there it was like walks together at the park or the mall. I usually have playdates with mommys who have children close to the age range of my baby so we can talk and answer questions about the current stage their in. I think its a great way to make friends and also get the children the kind of socialization they need as well. I know playdates are a pretty new idea, but I think they are sooo much fun! I'd give them a chance :)
    IzysMomma

Answer by IzysMomma at 7:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I don't care for playdates either! We play outside and the neighborhood kids or we go to the park and they play with the kids there, childrens museum, whatever. My kids are fine! =) You must be a tough lady to be able to care for a little one again. I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter. Hang in there, Grandma! You and your granddaughter will be just fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am sure it is a great idea, but I am probably older than their mothers. Maybe I sould plan an activity for us to do with the children.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You may be over thinking it a bit, you dont really have to "entertain" the other mom, you just talk to her. You can plan one at McDonalds or a similar place until you know the mom a bit better if you are nervouse :)
    rockinmomof2boy

Answer by rockinmomof2boy at 9:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yeah I would feel this way too, just drop the kid off.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010