baby has bright red rashes on his cheeks

My 4 month old has red rashes on each of his cheeks. They come and go and they heal quite fast. What is that caused by? One person told me it's from kissing his cheeks but I don't know if I believe that..anyways, I wouldn't stop kissing him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe they are just chapped? My son is 20 months old and he gets that way when it gets cold. His are actually chapped right now.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Sometimes the brush against fabric, like the bed linen and such can cause this, make sure you are washing them with a soft soap with no abrasives.

Answer by older at 7:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It probably is a combination of the cold outside and the heat you have for your home. Is it a dry heat. You might try a humidifier and cream on the cheeks.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well I live in Florida...so it's not from the cold. And I use a mild soap to wash all the laundry. Maybe it is from the friction though because he rubs his face against me a lot now that I think about it..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My daughter gets that all the time..its just chapped cheeks. But to make sure and be safe.. I would take her to the doctor. Better safe than sorry :)
    ShawnaHill

Answer by ShawnaHill at 7:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• my son has been getting rashes on and off he's 10 weeks. I'm pretty sure it comes from rubbing against clothing of the people holding him. I insist a burp cloth or blanket before someone holds him. some peoples detergent and perfumes and stuff seem to irritate him. With vasoline it"s usually gone by the next day.
    mnastro8489

Answer by mnastro8489 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son started getting that whenhe was around the same age. It took me months to figure out what was causing it. I even took him to 2 different doctors, both told me it was eczema. Well I was deternmined to figure out the problem myself. I switched all detergent lotions and baby wash and my son was still getting the rash. After a few months I figured out what was causing it- certain plastic chew toys was causing it. The plastic toys on his exersaucer expecially made the rash worse. I took away all his plastic toys and plastic feeding spoons and I only use the soft plush toys and the rash is gone. he is 7 months and every once in awile he gets it and it is usually when he gets a new toy.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010