Breast feeding and expecting

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 11 month old daughter ever since she was born and I just recently found out that I am expecting another one. There were some nurses that told me that I needed to stop breastfeeding b/c it could cause contractions and I could miscarry. But I have read a lot online about it and people breastfeed all the time while pregnant and nothing bad happened to their baby. My sis in law even breastfed her little girl 5 months into her pregnancy and her unborn child was just fine. What do you all think? Has anyone ever been in this situation. I really need some advice. Thank u!

ShawnaHill

Asked by ShawnaHill at 7:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as you're not at risk for preterm labor, you should be fine. I breastfed my oldest dd throughout my entire second pregnancy and for 6 months after.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 7:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i breastfed for about 4 or 5 months into my pregnancy and everything was fine. what the nurse is probably thinking of is nipple stimulation can sometimes cause contractions, but it's not like its something new. if you hadn't nursed leading up to your pregnancy, then alot of nipple stimulation could cause more issues, but since it's something your body is used to, then you should be fine.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You are healthy? Having a normal pregnancy?
    If so, then you can continue to breastfeed even for years from now, lots of us do it!
    ;-D

Tandem breastfeeding may require a little extra support but it's worth it.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding D...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Tell those nurses to shove it! Women nursed through pregnancy for THOUSANDS of years without complications. I personally nursed my oldest all but the last few weeks of my second pregnancy and even then it was because I physically had to stop, not because it caused any issues for the baby. In fact my second baby was over 8lbs and nearly 42wks... So this idea that nursing will somehow put your new baby in danger is just crap!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010