what would you do?

I work in the back area of my job, Im not out with the public. Today there was an incident at a cash register. A woman set her 4 yr old dd on the counter and another woman in line behind her came up, grabbed the little girl and took her off the counter. As she did it she told the mother, "I dont want to see her fall". The mother called the police and is now pressing charges, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Pressing charges? What a nut job
    Grabbing somebody's child? What a nut job

Both women obviously have boring lives and go to extremes. The woman should have simply asked the women to take her kid down, not taken her down on her own. And pressing charges is pretty extreme. I would have told her off, but not wasted the police's time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• There are no charges here to press!!! I wouldn't have gone as far, but would have kept my eye out for the girl.

Answer by older at 7:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well, I'd have been tempted to (and likely would have!) applaud the woman who moved that child off the counter. The counter is NOT a chair and it is not an appropriate place to sit one's child. People do this in food places all the time, and it's positively disgusting. I'd rather not have my food served where you just planted your child's backside.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well first I would never put my child on a counter, but I also wouldnt touch another persons child. I'd kindly say to the woman that she shouldnt have her child sit there where she could fall and then I would speak to an employee. (which would probably tell the woman to remove the child due to insuranse reasons)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Seriously? God I hope the judge laughs at her. I dont think the stranger should have touched the child (How about mentioning your concerns to the mom?) But pressing charges? For pete's sake.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Mother sounds like a nut bag.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• that's just crazy, even if your intentions are good you have to be careful when you dealing with people kids and a stranger at that, the woman has no right to touch her child and take her off the counter she would have been better off saying something if she just had to stick her noise in other people business. i don't see the need for the police and pressing charges if the baby was not harmed. now what i would have did was got her good and told.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 10:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I dont think I have ever put 1 of my kids on the counter, but if someone touched my kid, they would probably get yelled at....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't see how this would happen to me. My child would never be far enough away from me for someone to have a chance to grab them like that. Pressing charges is ridiculous. What happened after she moved the little girl that caused it to go that far? touching a stranger's child is a stupid thing to do, but what is there to press charges over?

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I say they are both a little high strung. Im not really sure what I would do if some stranger touched my child for any reason though. I might go nuts as well. You never ever put your hands on a strangers child. I have to admit I have snapped on a few people in stores for touching my newborn babies. What posses a person to be so bold?
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 8:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010