Does your child want something for Christmas that you can not afford?

If so how do you handle it? Find some way or explain that you can not afford it?

ErinsMomma1

Asked by ErinsMomma1 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• Good Lord, this year is going to be so tight I am not sure how we are going to afford a tree! I am in my final year of school and will have my teaching certification by May next year - Hopefully next Christmas will be fine because I pray I get a full-time teaching job in the fall.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If you can't afford it, you don't "find some way". You teach them what the family can and cannot afford. How else are they to understand the concept of money? Too many parents will say "we can't afford that" and then somehow give the child what they can't afford - the kids don't learn delayed gratification, they don't learn the value of money, and they don't learn the reality of not getting everything they want - and it sets them up for a lousy adulthood.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• LOL! Yes, my youngest wants a car... she's 22 and my oldest wants a husband, she's 27. Neither is getting that for Christmas! Seriously, many, many times my kids never got what they truly wanted for Christmas. I think it's good to always "want" something, but to not always "get" it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• yes,but he's not the kind of kid that won't let it go. He just shrugs it off

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• There is no explanation...we can't afford it...PERIOD. This of course is an easier explanation if you haven't brought them up to do the Santa thing because if you did, then they think they can get anything they want because HE brings it all and it doesn't matter what your finances are.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• should have left- I have always done the santa thing. They "never" got everything they ask for. I always told them he had alot of kids to buy for . That they wouldn't be getting it all. And yes my 12 year old wants his own laptop. I told him that would be a no. He was upset for a liitle bit but got over it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010