Commercialization of Winter Holidays...

So in general, lets steer away from all the bashing type posts- do you all feel like commercialization of Winter holidays has changed how you celebrate yours? If your celebration includes gift giving, do all of the ads and their effect on your kids diminish it at all for you? I know that for me, I am feeling a little stressed because the gifts are the thing my kids look forward to the most (heck, it was the same way for me when I was little). I know right now my kids seem more greedy than I would like them to be and I am having a hard time finding that generous spirit ;)

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 8:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God, I can't believe I'm saying this but YES, it's disgusting. It puts pressure on parents to overspend on everything xmas related from outdoor santas and lights to lego everything. Funny, I spoke to my dentist who is 65 and from germany. We had this talk and she said, "You know, I grew up during the war in Germany. Xmas consisted of walking to church at night in knee deep snow, watching the stars flicker in the night sky and counting the candles burning in the window for missing soldiers. When I got home, I had one present and we sang Christmas carols. It was lovely, it was enough."

I think she said a lot there....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• No, the holidays are what I mlke them to be. I mean, I do find it slightly irritating when decorations for winter holidays start going up the same time Halloween decorations are, but that is just due to my preference for handling one holiday at a time. I don't like the bombardment of holidays that are still 3 months away.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We don't have cable, so we're not really bombarded with ads. And my little one still doesn't really understand what's going on, lol. So thankfully we still have another couple of years before Christmas turns into a "gimme" fest, haha. I don't look forward to it, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Christmas has definitely been overly commercialized. I've hated that aspect for a long time. I dont have tv at home so I'm not bombarded with commercials there but in the car i hear them on the radio.. One business in particular grates on my nerves with their rude jingles trying to get you to buy more ornaments.
    I do buy gifts but I stick with a budget and I think about the person. And although i dont celebrate it as a religious holiday I do remember the birth of Christ and all He did for us.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It hasn't changed but I do want to buy a little less for my kids and do more the people who actually need things. I want my kids to appreciate the things they have and not be greedy. My older is getting better about that.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I used to do my shopping the two weeks right before Christmas but now I start feeling like I'm behind if I'm not done by Dec. 1 just by all the ads.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• yes it is over commercialized. Fortunately three of my four really don't seem to care about it and the other one is thrifty. I bought DD some new shoes today because she has a hole in her old pair. She insisted the old pair will last until Christmas so we wrapped the new pair up.wonder if she'll change her mind once the cold weather seeps into the hole in her shoe. We keep it small. Two or three gifts per child. No Santa. DD has outgrown Santa and the boys, who are all autistic, don't seem to grasp the idea so we aren't pushing on them. All they know is there is a small pretty tree and they get to open a few gifts and eat cookies. That's all they need.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Christma-hanu-kwanzi-yuli-bodhi- winter giftmas

I don't care what it's called. It is simply time with family during the last few weeks of December because that is one of the few times a year we can all get together due to our busy schedules.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• No, I think it starts earlier so they can keep the prices jacked up outrageously for X many months to increase their revenue and only drop them to reasonable prices the last week of December.
    I don't know if gift giving is traditional in most of those are not. i know some it is "traditional" or at least expected. I would guess most people do it because they feel obligated to which is why so many people put themselves in debt during this time of year.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Nope, not at all. Our kids have not one but THREE "holidays" and only ONE of them is really about gifts. Sure, they get gifts for Yule and Christmas, but not many. Usually they get one or two each and then one to share. Beyond that it's about other aspects like family and light... We tell stories, play games, eat food... No Santa, No commercial "Extras" that push the "gimme gimme" aspect so many have.

Now, do I think it's that way for most others? Yep. Which is part of why I don't understand why so many get all up in arms about the religious aspects of Christmas...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010