Almost weaned but not quite

Moms,

Your advice was so helpful. I've almost weaned our 16 month old. She no longer nurses before nap or bedtime, but there's one time I'm having trouble with, and that's the very early morning. Sometimes she wakes up around 4:30 am or 5, and I know she needs more sleep and the times I have caved in and nursed her and then put her back down, it doesn't work...she doesn't fall back asleep. Sometimes she'll be quiet for a few minutes but then the crying starts again and we end up bringing her in to our bed and she nurses, but I doubt she's getting much milk. I just feel so frustrated because it's an endless back and forth game of going in to her room, patting her back, walking out, etc etc and in the end, she never goes back to sleep anyway, whether I nurse her or not. But, I need my sleep, too, and I'm not ready to get up at that hour. She's not old enough yet to play by herself...we're moving to Europe in 3.5 weeks and I'm also in my first trimester, so I really wanted to have her completely weaned before we go...maybe I should just keep nursing her in my bed during that early hour so that I don't have to get up and hopefully she'll begin to sleep through those wee hours as she gets older. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cry it out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• well, I couldn't nurse but my son was just an early riser at this age.. 430 like clockwork so I would hesitantly ( as I work outside the home) get up - we would play make breafast together then get him ready and I would get ready then more playtime.. the more I fought it, the worst I was when it happeend.. which in turned made US worse.. if you waive your white flag sometimes, it works itslef out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Is there a reason you want her weaned? If it was me, I would take her to bed w/ me like you said, but I am willingly breastfeeding my 2 year old.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think she said she was in her first tri-mester with the next one. Probably wants a little break!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Pick your battles mom. Bringing her into your bed for a couple more hours of sleep for you is worth it in the end, right? Let her nurse - she's not ready to let go yet.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2010