The potty trainer thing is not working for me! my son knows what to do , but just want do it!

nflowers4

Asked by nflowers4 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister-in-law is having the same problem with her little girl. And I was having trouble with my step-daughter because she didn't want to use it. As gross as it sounds, at least try this... put the pullups on your child, the next time they use it to poop or pee, give them wipes and make them clean it up themselves. I've potty trained kids on weekends that I babysit with this method and they haven't even had accidents at night. It's human nature to be lazy, and want everything done for you, especially at the age where you either want to do everything yourself, or you know you can do it, but you don't feel like it. Make sure you give him lots of praise when he uses the potty I prefer the three C's (candy, cookies, or crackers)
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 11:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• He will, it is a big step. I am starting my son, but going at his pace. With my older two boys I thought they would still be potty training in Kindergarten. They werent.... but it was a long process. Girls are easier in my opnion.
    Nakor21

Answer by Nakor21 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• As silly as it sounds...let him watch you put Cheerios in the potty. Let him stand on a stool. Tell him to aim. See how many he can hit. He will think it is fun. You both will giggle. Make sure to keep a zip lock bag full in your pocket book at all times. Do it every hour on the hour for about 2 weeks. No drinks 1 hour before bed time. It worked for me in 2 weeks time. Have fun & goodluck!!!!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I did the cheerio thing and my boy was "done" in a weekend. My biggest hurdle was getting the daycare on board and following thru. Consistency is key.
    JenLevi

Answer by JenLevi at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had a hard time getting my son to potty train and worked with him a number of times and tried everything. He just relied to much on his diapers. So one day we ran out of diapers and I told my son that we had no more and he was gonna have to start using the potty or else he was going to pee his pants, lol. It was rough at first he had a few accidents but got the hang of going number 1. Then came the problem of number 2 he just wasn't getting it that went on for like 3 days and so every time he went in his underwear I would take him to the bathroom and put the mess in the toilet and show him where it was suppose to go. Gross I know, lol. And we had a plan if he didn't have an accident all day he would get a sticker and at the end of the week if he got 5 stickers we would do something fun. whether it be crafts, park, or movie rental.

Hope this helps somewhat. : )
    USMC_wife_0809

Answer by USMC_wife_0809 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• We just took him out of the diapers and made him go on the potty. We did that last year when he was 2 1/2 and he has been going potty on the potty. He may miss the bowl every once and while but that is because he is day dreaming...
    mommy6805

Answer by mommy6805 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Sounds like my son. It took a while but I think he is finally daytime and naptime potty trained. Stick to a schedule and find a reward that works. We ended up using tootsie rolls. Now the healthiest, I know, but it worked. If his schedule was thrown off, it was back to square one. When he fell behind and started having accidents after a few weeks of doing really well, yelling at him and making him clean his own mess did NOT work. We had to calmly remind him what he should do, clean him up and move on. We would also have to go back to the tootsie rolls again. Boys are a lot harder than girls, but be patient and consistent. Good luck!!!
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 1:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008