breastfeeding pain

I have a 4 week old baby for the first 2 1/2week i had no problems feeding now im having a lot of pain and some bleeding from my nipples im having lots of trouble feeding him now im only letting him latch on once a day so now my milk supply is dropping i need help with ways of soothing the nipple and dealing with the pain.                   

i dont think it is the latch hes doig it fine and im using creams to help with moisture.  im begining to think it may be thrush bc i was on an anibioticfor an infection to my c-section incesion.

sherlyn.maske

Asked by sherlyn.maske at 9:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to keep them moisturized so they don't get chapped, and make sure your baby is latching on correctly because if he isn't it can make it worse.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• hot and cold compresses, lansiloe cream after every feeding...and sorry, but I think you may have to feed more often to get through it. I went through about a week or two where it was soooooooo painful when my daughter first latched on, but it got better once the milk started flowing...then once my nipples were used to it, it didn't hurt anymore. Good luck to you and your new baby. And congrats!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Have you been using something to keep your nipples conditioned/moisturized? Like Lansinoh Breast Creme, that is what I used from day one! It helps your nipples and will moisten babies lips!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I had to pump while my nipples healed so I could maintain my supply. Lanolin ointments promote yeast so don't use it on bloody cracked nipples. Use olive oil instead. Let your nipples air out so they heal faster. Call a lactation consultant to help him with is latch. Also, eat a lot of oatmeal and drink red raspberry leaf tea 2-3 times a day. They say Blessed Thistle or Fenugreek also helps improve your supply. My son never got the hang of it, and now 7 months later I am still pumping. It sucks, literally and figuratively!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• do not wash ur nipples either, bag balm also works,try feeding him laying down on ur side with him next to u...find a better way for him to latch on.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Oh and after you're healed up, after each feeding clean your nipple, and then express a little out of each breast and rub it on the whole nipple, it will help keep them from getting chapped again. Be sure to let them dry before closing up your bra.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Breast shield. They are in the breastfeeding section of Target. It's a plastic piece that fits over your nipple. It really really helped me through the pain.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010