Why am I lactating so soon?

Ok, I went up to Nh the other day to visit my grandmother and my mom, well my mom had 3 kittens. At the time I went up there I was 22 weeks pregnant, (5 and a half months) and... I started lactating the 2nd day I was there... and I'm now 24 almost 25 weeks pregnant, and I've been lactating like crazy... I heard a lot of women don't even start until after the baby is born, it this uncommon? I was thinking that maybe me lactating this soon has something to do with the Kittens

not-so-des-hw

Asked by not-so-des-hw at 11:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i've been leaking for about 2m now and im 30 wks its normal and i dont know about the kittens its a good ? though.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the kittens but this is my first pregnancy and I started lactating at 20wks. My mom is a RN and she said its just colustrom and it is normal. Some women do lactate before the baby is here. GL
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It doesn't have anything to do with the kittens. I started lactating that early also. im 6 1/2 months right now and have to wear breast pad things. It's not colostrum that i have though its actual liquid. i could feed a baby if i had to lol. My dr said its fine and normal. Just means well be a milk machine and ready to feed our babies when they come [[if yu plan on breastfeeding of course]]
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yeah it's not just a little... like I woke up when the kittens were meowing, and my shirt was like covered and my stomach was like soaked... I heard some place that even some mothers that adopt children and aren't even pregnant begin to lactate because their bodies react to the sound of a baby's cry. just like I've heard that wolves take in baby rabbits and start breastfeeding them even though they've long had their pups
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 12:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yeah that is true our bodies will work in that way if needed. but your having a baby so in this case its from your baby and being pregnant not from the kittens.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It is normal to leak, and I found a pantie-liner cut in half was the best leak protection...I found the pads for breasts were expensive and the cotton stuck to the nipple (which was more important AFTER the baby came...lol)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 12:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i started getting little bits of milk at 8 weeks... its normal dont worry
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2008