How many other mom's tried breastfeeding but had to end early out there?

Please, be nice.

I'm curious about how many mom's had to quit or their supply just disappeared. I realized today after over 1 month of trying unsuccessfully to nurse and pumping only 2oz total (both sides after 30 min on high) at every pump session. That there's no point. My baby won't even drink a bottle with breastmilk in it and I work so I can't exclusively-demand feed.

I'm soooo sad right now has anyone gone through this? I feel like my baby doesn't want me any more. :(

(my little one is 4 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I couldn't get my milk to come in and start producing...tried pumping all the time, was feeding every three hours, no formula.. but nothing then we got thrush so it was painful. And my already tiny son kept losing wieght so we went to formula. I didn't think I was attached to breastfeeding at all, but when I finally stopped I kept crying because of it.

She is just going for what is giving her the most nutrients and most satisfying feeding, could you imagine trying to eat all day and not getting much at all?

Some women's bodies just can't breastfeed for whatever reason.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It happened to me too =( Evan did it a few times in the hospital and once after I brought him home. Other than that, I was pumping, tring to nurse him, pumping, trying to nurse him, every hour it went like that. Finally, after a month, I saw the lactation consultant and she suggested it may be time for formula. I was, and still am, sad about it. Someone told me that I was feeding my baby and that was the most important thing. That helped a little.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes, it happened to me, My reasons for stopping was a comboination. I had to go back to work after 10 weeks, and since I couldn't get more actual breastfeeding throughtout the day my milk supply decreases, plus I had to start school again. It was really stressful. I felt like a failer, but I had to get over that.
    Don't feel bad, you tried and that's the important thing.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My first son had reflux and I didn't know that was the problem for 2 months. So everytime i tried to feed him, he would latch on for a few seconds and they start screaming. I thought it was all me and I couldn't get enough by pumping, so I quit. Then my secound son. Things were great! He latched on great, built up a great milk supply. My only problem was that my nipple crack and bled and it was so bad I would cry. My husband just kept telling me to stop. I told him I could be days away from getting it and I wouldn't stop. Then I got a breastshield and was in the right direction. Well a week later my dad who was in the hospital took a bad turn and had to get bypass surgery. I had to do a lot of early morning and late night drives across MN so I started drinking coffee and supplimenting. With the stress and poor diet, I ended up quiting. Im so sad about it and want to start again. It's been two months. I feel like a horrible mom
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I lost my milk a couple of weeks after I got the Mirena. My daughter was about 3 months old when I lost my milk. We didn't figure out what caused the loss until DD was about to turn 1 and wasn't even on a bottle anymore. I tried everything we could think of to get it back, but DD was starting to lose weight and when I ran out of pumped milk, we had to give her formula. It devastated me. I was a wreck for about a year and a half because of it. The only reason I got the Mirena in the first place was because my OB talked it up so much, everything I read online was amazing, and she wouldn't order the hormone free IUD (Paragard), so that was my only IUD choice. I didn't want another child for a few years, so I got it. About 7 months after that, I started googling my symptoms like crazy and eventually found a forum devoted to problems caused by the Mirena. After it was removed, when I was on the pill again, I produced milk briefly.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• But, DD wouldn't latch, so I tried pumping and managed to pump for a couple of weeks before I gave up completely.
    Mrs.BAT

• Honestly, 2 oz is a successful pumping session. If you really want to keep breast feeding, even if you supplement with formula too, please join one of our breast feeding groups here. They are filled with moms who really know a lot and want to help you succeed. You have done a really good job! Don't feel disappointed!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• 2 oz is the high end of normal pump output per session from both breasts.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Did you ever meet with a lactation consultant?? They can help so much! NEVER gauge how much milk you're producing by how much you're pumping. I could NEVER get more than an ounce or so pumping, but DS was always satisfied. In order to build up my freezer stash, I started pumping on one side while he nursed on the other. The hormone release when the baby on makes a huge difference. I actually got 8 ounces once this way!!
    Nothing says you can't nurse when you're home. Even if you're supplementing with formula, ANY breastmilk really helps your baby.
    I have a friend who just had to stop nursing. She had major complications after her delivery that hospitalized her. She kept pumping through the hospital stay, and nursed (with some major help) when she got home. Then she got a secondary infection (C diff), and a month-long course of antibiotics forced her to stop. She was devastated, because she couldn't nurse her first.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• 2 oz between both breast is normal output, and the only thing that counts is diapers 6-8 a day.
    with dd i had no support and quit at 3 mts(i was only pumping)
    with ds i had a lil more support and knowlege but he woundntt latch on so i pumped for almost a year
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2010