HELP!! Toddler has hives :(

My 2 yr old has hives all over his face and some under his eyelids and arm. Its breaking my heart. I have been told there is nothing I can do about it but wait for it to go away. Is this true? Has anyone who has been through the hives nightmare have any words of wisdom for me? Freaking out here...

graceluc

Asked by graceluc at 9:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Benadryl.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i agree with ashisamom...but at that age you would have to call the doctor and ask for the proper dosage or maybe a pharmacist will be able to help you.

Keeping a cool compress on them can help with the itching....don't let him itch as it will only spread the hives.

I feel for him and you, I hate hives!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• do you know what they are from? allergy, fever...ect? If they are itchy definitly give some benedryl. If you don't know what they are from try to figure it out by narrowing down the things he has eaten and anything different he has been around. If it is an allergic reaction the next time he is exposed to the allergen could potentially give a worse reaction than just hives. Keep an eye out for swelling. The hives should go down on their own pretty quickly after the benedryl if it is an allergic reaction.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Try your local pharmacy, they were great for giving me the dosage of cough medicine for my 1 year old, no doctor's visit necessary! As them if they can give you the dosage for Benedryl and make sure you get the babies weight.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010