Anyone know why Medicaid doesn't cover circumcision any more?

Not that I would have ever gotten one for my son but I keep seeing signs all over that they don't cover them anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they say it's considered a "cosmetic" procedure and so therefore not medically necessary.

I guess it would be like if you had Medicaid for yourself and you wanted to get a boob job with the Medicaid coverage...they would deny it for the same reason.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• They don't consider it a necessary surgery. They haven't covered it for about 7 years.
    Nakor21

Answer by Nakor21 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• because it isn't consider medically needed.. however I would recommend you have it done anyways
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had medicaid and my son was born july 2nd of this year. He got circumcised and they covered it so i don't know.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• my son was born in may and they covered it, i live in missouri
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's not covered by MediCal in CA, I paid $150 for my son to have the procedure. You'd better start saving your money ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Because it's not medically necessary. It is purely elective surgery. And when the AAP changed their recommendation about circumcision to "it's up to the parents, we don't see any reason for it" - the insurance companies stopped paying for it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think it is because it is a religious thing.
    mosaickathy2

Answer by mosaickathy2 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• it is in GA as long as you do it before you leave the hospital after birth.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I live in Indiana and my sons was covered by medicaid. We had his done in the hospital the day after he was born though, so I don't know if they'll cover it outside of the hospital.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 12:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008