Is there a way to keep moisture from coming in the window sils w/ out spending a bunch of $?

In this house we are renting all the window sils have mold/mildew in them. I am currently cleaning them.

We like our house dark so we use mini blinds & curtains. So here's the problem, when I was looking at the living room window this morning there was moisture & wet droplets all over the window sil. So even if I clean the mold/mildew off it is going to come back. Is there a way to prevent so much moisture from entering the windows? I live in FL if that matters. What do I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have this problem during the winter. I live in a cold climate. I replaced the two living room windows & they do not do it anymore. So I suspect its the old windows. I put up the shades every morning & wipe the windows with a towel. Then if the weather is not too cold out, I crack the window to dry it out better. That is not a permanent solution but its the best I can do right now. Can't afford to replace all the windows.
    Anonymous

• Not sure how expensive they are but maybe a dehumidifier would help.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Could you make a "snake" full of rice and lay it across your window sill? You would probably have to replace it every month or so-or just roll up a towel and place it there. What about that stuff you use in the bathroom for mildew and mold? It's bleach based and would kill the spores before you put something down there.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think it's the windows themselves. I know there are windows that you can buy and have installed that minimize this problem, but if you're renting, you may just have to try a dehumidifier.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2010