Does it really work?

I am officially 7 days past my due date, trying to hold off on getting induced but the date for that is December 8th. My question is...does sex really work to get labor started? Has it really worked for anyone or someone you know? My reason for asking is with me being so far along it's painful to have sex but if it might work then we're gonna go for it lol. Thanks for the advice!

ProudMommyOH3

Asked by ProudMommyOH3 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Oxytocin is a labor hormone. It can be released through sexual stimulation (and other "loving" experiences) and may stimulate contractions.
    So promoting progress through sexual activities is generally very safe & enjoyable. :-)

But the hormones from sperm (prostaglandins) can soften the cervix.
    o lovin' with your partner where you both orgasm will be a nice distraction and *might* push things along...

Good luck, hope all goes nicely!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes.
    But you still have a while to remain within the normal range to deliver.
    A due date is a MID-point within the average (estimated) due period (38-42 weeks).
    So you might hold off trying to force things.

FYI: leksismommy is incorrect, sex induction doesn't have to include orgasm or intercourse even.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I did reflexology on my ankles and had sex that evening, I was in labor a few hours later. very intense contractions.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Ha, you're trying not to be induced, I'm praying I'm able to hold labor off long enough to be induced (which is just about a guarantee anyways). But yes, to answer your question, sex can help to start labor... Personally, sex is WAY to painful at this point and I couldn't even imagine trying to go that route, but then, I feel the same way about natural labor.

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It worked for me when it came time to have my daughter. I had her the day before I was suppose to be induced
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would have to agree with owl feather. Reflexology and massage has been known to induce labor. When I went to get a prenatal massage the massage therapist was careful not to massage my ankles or feet, because they were afraid they would put me into pre-term labor! If anything, a nice massage might get you relaxed enough for it to just happen! Good luck! :)
    Lillybean09

Answer by Lillybean09 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Thanks girls! I've actually heard the reason for sex helping is the guys sperm bc it has something pitocin carries & can think your cervix, so I guess trying isn't gonna hurt anything lol! :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Comment by ProudMommyOH3 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Thanks doulala, I appreciate the advice! :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Comment by ProudMommyOH3 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Happy to help- or try to!
    ;-)

I've been there, too~~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It works sometimes but only if you orgasm, an orgasm causes your uterin muscles to contract and that can trigger labor contractions
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 9:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010