My Grandaughter is 4 and started with severe neck pain about 5 hours ago. My daughter took her to the ER they did an xray and assume it is muscle related. she now has a bad headache, no fever or vomiting. Is there need for concern for Menenghitis? Should they go back to the hospital for bloodwork?

Gram313

Asked by Gram313 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Call her ped to be safe, but can she put her chin on her chest? Menigitis neck pain will make it difficult to drop her chin to her chest. If her neck pain is in the back of her neck, along with head ache, its probably sinus pain (we have a large sinus cavity in the back of our heds that drains down the back of our necks)- but again, check with her ped. Childrens Muncinex and childrens benadryl will help if its sinus pain
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'd call her pediatrician. Surely he/she has a service or an On Call Associate

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• And it wouldn't be blood work that they would do. It would be a spinal tap. There are definite risk associated with test, so definitely speak with her ped before returning to the ER.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Not sure why they didnt do that anyway.
    Anonymous

• I would call her Ped.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010