when is a good time to switch from dreft to a gentle laundry soap?

My son is 6 months old and I hear you can stop using dreft at this age but I also heard you should wait till the child is a year old....any suggestions???

eriks_mommy10

Asked by eriks_mommy10 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard a year you can even wait until 2 years. I guess it depends on how sensitive his skin is. If he's prone to get red blotches dry skin I would wait. I actually use Baby All detergent, it's cheaper and works just as well.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I never used it. I always used regular laundry soap and my children never had a reaction. Dreft is only required if they have sensitive skin.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You're fine to switch. Deft has one of the highest fragrance loads of any detergent. If you kiddo can tolerate dreft, it will be fine with the regular stuff. However with that said... I LOOOVE the way deft smells. My little guy's skin was too sensative for it for a long time, but now I love to wash all of whites and linens in Dreft because it makes them smell soo good.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I never used anything special on my kids clothes... From day one they get what I buy for all of us, no "baby" blends or anything.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I never used Dreft. I always used some sort of "free & clear" detergent. If you're using a different detergent on your clothes, it won't matter anyway if you're using Dreft. The dyes and perfumes are on your clothes, sheets, towels, etc. so they could still have a reaction.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You never have to use it. I've always used any brand that's on sale, though I tend to stick to free and clear versions due to DD and DH's eczema.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I always used regular detergent - can't stand the smell of dreft!

Answer by missanc at 7:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• 5 kids and I've never used special baby detergent. We've been using free & clear detergent forever (I've been using it since I was a teen, long before I had kids) and that's what we used for our kids since their clothes are washed with mine. Except my youngest. After he was born my husband just happened to have a thing of regular Tide (he had been living in another state for work so bought his own stuff) and we used that until it ran out when the baby was 4 1/2 months.
    Unless there is a history of sensitivity I wouldn't worry about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2010