how do you convince your child there are no ghosts ? adult content

We resently moved to a larger house. We have a basement and an upstairs. My 8 yr. ols son thinks that the devil in in the basement because the basement in underground, he also thinks that the "new" sounds in the house are ghosts. He has NEVER been afariad of the dark and I thought it would pass but now even when he stays at his grandma's he is scared there too and he has been ther 1000 times. He sleeps with us 4-5 times a week now which makes me sleep on the couch because he is big and moves around a lot. So when I looked it up online the topics were" When youe child has a sighting?' Well this is not a sighting it his imagnation getting the better of him.

So we put up a dream catcher thinking that may help,it helped for maybe 15 min.
If anyone have some helpful advise or have been through this ...please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel

Thx!

fanofjake

Asked by fanofjake at 10:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why don't you guys spend the night down there, camp out style- and discuss all the different noises you hear together. He'll have a positive safe expirience if you guys are down there with him and he wont have to wonder what those noise are- he'll know.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well on the pretext of assuming that you are not simply projecting your own beliefs on the after-life or lack there of onto your child and know that it is simply imagination at work and not spirits..........I would suggest you give him a new toy or doll of some sort and attempt to convince him that the object will scare "the devil" away. I assume you are a religious family because otherwise he would most likely not even know of "the devil", so another suggestion would be to place a crucifix or cross (some sort of religious relic) in his room, on his wall, under his pillow or on his nightstand. Good luck.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• let him learn about ghosts or why ghosts are thought to be fake. whichever side youw ant him to learn. ive heard kids are afraid of things they dont understand. maybe if he understands it he wont be as scared.

or maybe there is an underlying issue?
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• if its jsut noises that are scaring him then try a radio, maybe some clasical music to keep his mind from listening for the noises, if you think there are "spirits" there are ways to get rid of them....depending on your religion and beliefs.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Hmm, this is tough. I am sure he is scared to be in a new house. Maybe during the day you two can hang out there, if it is furnished. If it's not then he may not like it at all. I would think this is JUST a phase, but I don't know all the details. My daughter used to go through that, I think she is just naturally scared easily, especially is she watches scary movies. I am sorry I can't be of more help. Make the basement more inviting.
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well it would depend on what YOUR beliefs are, but personally I would get a clear idea of what he think is going on. Ask him what he thinks the devil and these ghosts look like and the explain that the devil isn't some slimy guy with red horns but more like just...a mind set (just better explained in child terms!) I like the idea of giving him some type of object to "ward off" any spirits. Maybe a ghost buster "gun"? Just make it seem legitimate, not just a toy - kid's aren't dumb!

Also, make sure he doesn't have some type of anxiety disorder. Just speaking from experience, as I kid I had a lot of similar fears but they got worse as I got older and I still wish someone would have done something about it rather than put it off as a "phase".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I explained to my DD that ghosts like monsters are pretend and fake - and that like all other pretend things cannot hurt her. I have a very active imagination and so does DD. I keep her away from scary movie also just becuase of this.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I used a dust vac to suck up all the ghosts in my daughters bed room. We used a dimmer switch and of course the ghosts don't like lights so they stayed away. Sometimes they came back for a visit but we got most of them with the dust buster.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Well, you can't prove a negative. You can't prove that there "isn't" something. You can, however, prove to him that he is safe. You can take measures to help him to feel safe. And you can take measures to ensure that this behavior (that is getting him a lot of attention at this point) doesn't get exaggerated in order to garner more attention.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you dont because they are real. I would ask a priest to preform a blessing at your house and rid the place of evil spirits that may be there.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010