To all the stay at home mamas

I am wondering what other SAHM's do for gift holidays like Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary & Valentine's Day...for their husbands? I am a SAHM and my hubby works and does school. He's the one who makes the money so he's the one who pockets it. I don't make money so the only times I ever have money is when he gives it to me or I sell something on craigslist which isn't very often at all. I am always stuck in this situation of feeling awful because I can never get my hubby a gift because I don't have the money to! He always tells me he doesn't need anything..but when he gets me a gift.. I feel really bad that I don't have one for him in return. What am I suppose to do?? I have no way to get him anything...unless it's like $3. No clue what to make for him either if I was to go that route because he doesn't like sappy things & my skills aren't so great & he'd be picky lol. So I'm curious what do other moms out there who don't make any source of income, what do you do when you want to give your significant other a gift??? HE just had a bday & I only had enough $ to get him a lousy $5 book-which he says he loves...but now Christmas is coming and so is our anniversary on the 29th this month! What do I do???? P.S. I always cook dinner, clean the house and do all the things a wife should do so I can't use any of those as "Gifts" lol. Thank you for reading and for future input!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I am in charge of the "christmas money" so I guess it is easier for me.... but before I have also used money that was gifted to me .....

Just use some of the money he gives you, maybe babysit a friends kid, or shovel a driveway or something for a little extra cash
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My husband makes all the money and when it is our anniversary, his birthday, Christmas etc. I go and buy him something and charge it to the credit card and he just pays it when the bill comes! It feels weird to me sometimes too but my husn=band sayd that being a SAHM is a job too and I can spend money if I want to even if it is on him!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 11:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I buy him a sporty gift with his favorite team.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I squirrel away bits of cash over the previous six months and put it aside to buy him something small. This year, it's a gift card to Patagonia. But he doesn't expect a thing....more often than not, we don't exchange but buy for the kids. Still, he gives me something but overall there's this reality that there isn't any money so however we go about it (squirreling, charging, whatever)....it's being squeezed from someplace so why bother.
    Anonymous

• You don't have a shared bank account? If not you should.... You're in a partnership, the money should be shared whether one or both of you work.. I'm a SAHM, we each have our own accounts, and then a joint account, and savings... You may want to sit down and ask him if you can open one together and then share the access....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have full POA over my husband so, I just pick up his paycheck and cash it. I pay the bills and keep the rest.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My DH doesn't pocket the money. It is on our account. If I need money then I use it. I know the budget and know what we can afford. If it is going to be a larger amount or over $50 I will 'check' with him first just so he knows that $50 wont be in the account.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2010