was i wrong to tell my daughter about her dad

I have a 4 year old daughter. She has never met her biological father. I had never told her about him until now. I just got kind of tired of her asking me if she even had a dad I always had said no. I know that I was wrong. She knows his name and has seen pictures of him but that is all she knows. He never wanted her to be involved in his life or be a father to her. So my daughter now knows that he exist but thats all. Was i wrong to tell her.

beenie21

Asked by beenie21 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think that you were wrong. Were I in your position I would have done the same. As delicate as the situation is it's best to be as honest as you can be without making it too confusing and painful for them. I think it's okay for her to know about him. If not now it would have happened sooner or later, right?
    I hope that helps. :)
    Mina1622

Answer by Mina1622 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i dont think you were wrong at all
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 11:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I don't think you were wrong. This will give her some peace knowing that she does have a dad, just like her friends do. As she gets older, you can give more information about him and be open to her questions as I'm sure she will have more!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I don't think that you were wrong, but do you think that she can handle this at her age?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't think you were wrong at all. I have never met my biological father and begged my mom for information over the years. She always brushed it aside, but honestly I don't think she can understand how or why it bothers me. I am 24 and just recently found out my more information from my mom, but I have never seen a picture. I respect you for allowing your daughter to put a face with the person she will one day have even more questions about.
    mommytohuddy

Answer by mommytohuddy at 2:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• not at all..my friend grew thinking her step dad was her real dad until she was 13 and was told then that her "Dad" is not her dad and she was very hurt..its a long story how it all plays out but now 20 she has male issues/reltaionships..so I think its a great beginning of a bond you have with your daughter that you can be so honest now :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 4:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• No you did the best you could it is a sad situation when a cad fails to take responcibility for his kids he should be castrated. I can see how youre frustrated and feel bad for her but you were truthful that she was without a father one who denies his offspring is merely a sperm doner hell with him hope you find a partner who she can see as a paternal figure "Dont worry be happy"
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Why would it ever be wrong?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No... I don't think you are the least bit wrong for telling her.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2010