Taking the husbands name .. . why??

So I am getting married next year but having serious doubts of taking his last name. . . I just feel like I will be loosing me and I don't want to do that.

So my question is is it extremely rude to keep my name? Our son has his last name and any future children probably will too . ..

I am quite progressive in terms of things go, I make as much money as him, we are a very 50% 50% couple so I really feel as though I should keep my name.

Just would like opinions :)

Huntersmom209

Asked by Huntersmom209 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Dont take his name if you dont want to. If he loves you it wont matter...but of course he could say that as well.
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 11:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• yea he says to do what will make me happy . .. and he is fine either way
    Huntersmom209

Comment by Huntersmom209 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• you can hyphenate it
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I kept my name. That is who I am and have always been. Men are not expected to change their names so why should a woman? My id, my passport, credit cards, email addresses at home and at work are all in my name and it would be a pain to change it all.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• yes I thought about that . . but Im not a fan It is to much for me

Stetler-Thompson!!! lol

I just dont like it I think they work better with a two syllable and a one syllable. . . maybe that is just me being a teacher!! :)
    Huntersmom209

Comment by Huntersmom209 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• So then Keksie, how did they introduce you at your wedding?? that has been my other thoughts. . . I was thinking "I now introduce to you the new couple Alicia and Scott" and that be it??
    Huntersmom209

Comment by Huntersmom209 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Normally I would say take his name but in the case of a teacher where it might confuse students I would say keep your name.
    Anonymous

• oh never even thought about that. . . another good reason to keep my name :)

We do joke about him taking mine. . . and I say "see how it feels" you loose part of yourself ..
    Huntersmom209

Comment by Huntersmom209 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• when I married and changed my name i dont think I lost who I was. I use my maiden name for my middle so I still feel like I am the same person and still have my family name. i hope that makes sense.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You don't have to take his name. Most of my married friends didn't. I did, I was happy to get rid of my maiden name and the baggage that came with it. But there isn't any reason you have to. Of you have the option of simply adding his. My mom had two last names at one point - she didn't hyphenate or anything, she just had two. And I have a friend where they took each others names - he changed his too... There are lots of options, just do what feels right, you can always change it later.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010