What does it mean to "share"

Is it sharing the wealth if the government in effect has a gun to your head? What I mean is, if it were a law to share, then it would not really be a choice and it would not really be "sharing" would it?

whohannah

Asked by whohannah at 11:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Do we ever have a choice on governmental spending and taxes? No, its not sharing.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Sounds more like Robin Hood than sharing. Think about it; if somebody takes money from you without asking... it's called theft.
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 11:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's not theft its taxes. It is the law now and always has been. When has it ever been compared to Robin Hood before? Haven't we always had taxes?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Apr1l : Do we ever have a choice on governmental spending and taxes

Errr, yes we do.. Based on who we elect, essentially we have SOME choice... No one is holding a gun to your head at the voting booth... Or at least I hope they aren't.. lol

But that isn't sharing. THat is mandating.
    "sharing the wealth" is more of a MARKETING term to ease the blow of taking money and "spreading" the wealth...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• We can elect a president etc, but we have no control on what they then decide to do once they're IN office. Which does change with many presidents.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Answered at 12:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 by: Anonymous, I have to agree Brainwashed a lot of people because he had an enough money to do so. Lets see in his speech he gave he said it may not take one year or two or this term to fix it. Hello did he every say that any of his speeches before. It was I will bring change within the first year I am office. Yeah I am sure we will see a lot of change.
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 12:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Spread the wealth around = More money into welfare = More people enabled to continue their lifestyle and not overcome poverty = More people dependent on government = More people to keep democrats in power. Duh.
    Anonymous

• jcsscfam-
    Tax dollars should go to building safer roads, highways, interstates. Improving schools. Border control. NOT giving my tax dollars to those who mooch off the system, sitting on their fat lazy butts eating bon bons and watching soap operas. What incentive do people have to do better for themselves, their families, their communities if we just hand everything over to them. It's rewarding people for being lazy!!! I work for my things. I have a great sense of pride that comes along with my accomplishments.
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• NOTHING has EVER just been handed to me. My family is VERY well to do, because of hard work. My parents had plenty of $ to buy me any kind of car I wanted when I turned 16. But they raised me with VALUES. They DIDN'T buy me a car. My daddy co-signed the LOAN. I made the down payment, I made the monthly payments, I bought the gas, I paid the insurance (and NOT under Daddy's policy), I paid for the maintanance. I WORKED. What went wrong with our country that made people think it was okay for the government to pay their bills?
    praisinghim2day

• If everybody was brought up with these kinds of values and work ethic, our country wouldn't be in the position it is now. Sad, but true.
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 12:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008