fever 103

my 17 month old sonhas been running a fever all day, the tylenol brings it down a little but not much. should i take him to the doctor? he does have teeth coming in so its probably frm teething. He also has chills from time to time. he isnt eating much but he has been getting fluids. Im a first time mom (single mom) and im freaking out. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most Dr.s would recommend you use ibuprofen INSTEAD of Tylenol, it works faster and lasts longer. DO NOT GIVE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME UNLESS A DOCTOR SAYS TO!! This is a VERY aggressive action against what the body does naturally to heal whatever is going on. A fever is NOT a bad thing!! LO's can get a pretty high fever. The main thing is make sure they get lots and lots to drink. Don't worry about what he is eating. Worry about him getting enough to drink. Let him drink whatever he will. The thing to worry about fevers: OVER 104 and a rapid climb in fever (e.g. going from 101 to 104 in 20 minutes. Then there is a risk of a febrile seizure (a seizure because of a rapid climb in fever temp). I have 2 kids with epilepsy and I cannot let their fevers "do their job" because it puts them at greater risk of a seizure. My middle DD - I let hers go. She is always better the next day or day after. Relax get some rest yourself!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Most doctors won't see them with a fever under 104, without other symptoms. It would be worth a call, however, if it will give you peace of mind. Your best bet is to let him sleep tonight, and see how he's doing in the morning. Good luck, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If the tylenol is bringing it down then I would not worry about calling the doctor. My kids always got high fevers while teething. If you were not able to bring it down then I would call the doctor.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would call the dr. You can set in a lukewarm bath to try to bring the fever down too. Hope he feels better soon.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• A fever this high with chills is not from teething. I would try some ibuprofen in addition to the tylenol and see if it helps. If you cannot bring it down, I would call the doctor.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If it is 103 then he needs to see a dr right away!
    fallenangel8508

Answer by fallenangel8508 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2010