I need help with a teacher gift!

My sons school's is asking $35 from each parent in my sons class for the teacher present contribution. Its not a public school so the rules are a little different than they were when I was in school so my family couldn't answer my questions. That is a $525 teacher gift for his class. I really don't have an extra $35 for the gift. Is it okay to step up and tell them I don't want to spend that much? If so what is a good amount to offer? Also is it okay to bring a modest gift and not throw money in the pot even though it says manditory on the paperwork? If so what? Its my child's first year in school so I'm not sure how this works. I didn't expect to have an obligation gift even though I do appreciate her hard work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• Whoa, that seems pretty steep! I would call the school or the point of contact regarding the gift, and offer to contribute what you can, but be frank and say that $35 is a lot of money right now, and you just don't have it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I agree, that's a lot to demand of parents, not everyone can afford that, and I never spent that much on a teacher gift. I don't see how they can say "mandatory". I would either do as musicpisces suggested, or I would purchase a gift in your price range, and respond by letting them know that you had already picked your own gift, and you are sorry that you can't participate in the group gift.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• WOW.....have never heard of such. If the amount is more than you can handle, let them know and send what you can. Be sure to take into consideration your child and how important it is for them not to be embarrassed by the situation. They will probably purchase a gift card to Amazon or a special place the teacher frequents.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Good Lord! That is insane...the school is covering up them not paying for things in the classrooms by saying it's a "Christmas" present for the teacher. I'm sure there are other parents who feel the same way. I would get together with other parents and attend the next board meeting...that's crazy!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• WOW! WHAT ARE THEY GETTING FOR THE TEACHER?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yeah that seems a bit ridiculous in this economy to one make it mandatory or for that amount for one teacher.
    I normally do gifts for all my teachers because my daughter can be a bit hectic at times but its never more than $10 each
    and hell what if you dont really like her? LOL
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2010