Tell me some of the misinformation you've heard or read about breastfeeding

I see it on here all the time, and I see people's questions and answers about having to give up breastfeeding, but there are so many things they could have changed that would have kept them going had they known better. I am curious to see what everyone else has read, and what you didn't know until someone helped you.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 2:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• The worst was when a family doctor told me I HAD to stop nursing my 3 month old son because I had the flu and would pass it on to him. I knew better and knew that nursing was the BEST thing I could do for him since it would pass my antibodies and hopefully keep him from getting it. What scared me about this doc (not my normal doc) was that he is telling this to all nursing women and some probably didn't know what I knew and would quit due to his ignorance. In general in the US there needs to be so much more support and teaching of our medical providers. Another doc told me I had to quit nursing as soon as the baby was 12 months and literally said after that it makes them sick! Well I had already nursed my first child until 18 months at that point and the child he was trying to convince me to wean was 23 months old and NOT sick from nursing still!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I always thought that breastfeeding, if done correctly was completely painless from the beginning. Yah...NO my son had a great latch and was eating fine, but for the first week or two I had a stinging pain each time he latched. It subsided after a minute or two, but my Lactation consultant said that some women are just hypersensitive, and I was one of those.

**Adding** I think successfully breastfeeding takes support as well, support from family, your partner, whoever, because there are times when I would think of a reason I wanted to stop, after pumping and school, and work, my partner was right by me giving me the support and encouragement I needed. Reminding me that I am giving my son the best food possible, telling me that he is thankful I bf, etc. Some women don't have support so they stop at the first chance they get, seek support.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I can't remember reading anything, but I had a bad experience. I wanted to breastfeed SO bad, so I spent most of my pregnancy researching the best birth controls for breastfeeding mothers. Everyone, including my OB who had one, recommended the Mirena. I searched and searched for information about it, and found nothing but good things, so I got it. When my daughter was about 3 months old, a couple of weeks after getting the Mirena, my breastmilk disappeared. I tried EVERYTHING to get my milk back, thinking there was something wrong with me. I spent a few hundred dollars on herbs, teas, a pump, etc. After a few months, I started having other symptoms and started searching for those and eventually found a website that had tons of posts about women who had bad experiences with the Mirena, and learned that that was probably why my milk vanished, also. I was devastated for over a year because by then it was too late to re-lactate.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My sleep deprivation is kicking in lol. I know I HAVE read about things like that, but I can't remember specific examples except mine. Before MY experience, I heard nothing about the Mirena affecting milk supply, so since then I've tried to spread the word as much as I can that ANY hormonal BC can damage milk supply. By the time I had the Mirena removed, My OB also told me that the Paragard was no longer produced (translation: she was promoting the Mirena and didn't want to use any other IUD for patients), and she talked up the Mirena for months and how great it would be since I was breastfeeding. She was wrong.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My mother quit breastfeeding me when I was a baby b/c her mother convinced her that her boobs were not big enough to give me enough milk.....LOL She was about a B cup....

Since then I re informed both my mother and grandmother that boob size has nothing to do with milk supply!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• People in my family told me that it was totally fine and normal and expected to give the babies formula while breastfeeding, and not mentioning (probably because they didn't know) that it has the potential to disrupt a successful breastfeeding relationship. It did cause problems for me and I struggled the rest of the time to continue nursing, eventually stopping when my kids were around 9-10 months old. I wish I hadn't given them bottles with formula.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I guess the only misinformation I got was from a dr. He told me I needed to stop nursing in order to use a certain cream on my body. He said it would get on the baby and who knows what the consequences would be. I refused to stop nursing b/c I needed to get rid of poison sumac. I just was extremely careful to not get this lotion on the baby.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2010