How do you get a 2 year old to stop hurting herself?

My 2 year old daughter has a horrible temper! I never hit her, and I very RARELY spank her, unless it is going to hurt her, or someone else. I don't know where she is getting this, but when I tell her no, or take something from her, etc. she throws a temper tantrum, which I know is normal, but she also pinches herself til she has big red welts, bites herself until she almost bleeds slaps herself in the face, legs, etc., and pulls her hair. I have no idea where she picked this up, and it bothers me. The pediatricians told me to ignore her, but it makes the matter worse when I do that. What do you do to get them to stop? I hate seeing her do this, it hurts me too!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At two she may not understand what she is really doing but it won't hurt to say to her calmly when she starts to do this (while holding her arms so she can't do this to herself) you are really hurting yourself when you pinch and smack yourself like this.. If she is in daycare she may have picked this up from one of the other kids so you can ask the staff. If it continues talk to another doctor. Because if it gets worse when you ignore it that seems like a problem. Good luck!
    adhd8yoand3yo

Answer by adhd8yoand3yo at 9:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My daughter does this. She used to pull her hair out and bang her head against the wall (she had a bruise and a bump on her forehead that just would not go away because she banged so much). She also hits herself in the head (actually punches her head).

It's stopping. The only thing she still does is punch herself and that is becomming less and less. Part of what helped was stopping her. As soon as you see that she is about to (there are warning signs) physically stop her from doing it...before she does it. After a while she'll stop doing it when you tell her "no hit/bang/pinch/bite" or whatnot. Eventually she'll just stop doing it all together. It takes time. It took a year of doing this before my daughter stopped banging her head. She's almost stopped hitting herself. But it does stop.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My 22 month old does this!! Or tries!!! I have started tellin her if you don't stop by 3 and count 1,2,3 she get time out. At 2 she stops.
    I am very strict(sp) with time out.
    twice2thefun

Answer by twice2thefun at 10:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I dael with this with my 2 yr old. When I see an onset coming I will try to divert hiss attention to something and if this don't work we have to hold him in a restraint form until he calms down. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2008