Anyone have parents who REFUSE to child proof the house for grand children?

We went to my parents house to visit for 6 days in July.. it was the only 6 days out of the entire year that we got to see them and they just refused to put anything away that was of any value. I am not the type of mother to let my children run wild at someone else's house and do whatever they want, but it sure made it a very un-relaxing vacation for us because we had to constantly follow their every move to keep their hands off of anything and everything. I suggested to my mom that maybe she could put up this little figurine that she had sitting out in the middle of the coffee table until we left and her response was "No, this is MY house and I shouldn't have to put anything away" Ok.. that is an understandable answer but do you really expect my 13 month old son to stay away from it for longer than 5 seconds? I was terrified the entire time that they were going to destroy something the minute I turned my back for even a minute. Just wondering if anyone else's parents are like this?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• My mom was the same way to a point. She told me that they had to learn the word "No" and that everything was not a toy for them. I know how she feels because there are some things in my house that I will NOT put away. However, my mom had to learn if she didn't put it, that she needed to put it up high. You need to be frank and let her know how it is, and tell her that things will get broke. That's what little kids do. You can't blame that little kids when the adults refuse to budge.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• wouldnt bring them anymore. They can come visit you thats it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• agreed. dont bring your children to visit your parents. tell them they'll have to come see you.
    KelissaMaye

Answer by KelissaMaye at 8:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I can see not buying locks and rubber but to put a few valuables away is not asking much. Especially for the sake of family. Like the PPs had said...Just dont take your kids there anymore. If she complains then tell her to put it away.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I've never asked my parents to put anything away. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned that way. I would rather follow my child around and teach them "no", then ask someone to go out of their way for me.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i can see both sides of the fence. while i understand your frustration, i understand her not wanting to put everything away. at the same time, if she didn't want anything broken she needs to keep it out of reach of small hands. but again, you have to teach your child what is and isn't okay to touch and the meaning of "no". i know how hard it is to keep a 13 month old away from pretty, fragile things. i would've been annoyed too in your shoes. next time have them visit you or explain to your mom that your child(ren) are little and it's hard to keep tabs on their every move so next time, could she politely put her breakable things away or it just isn't a good idea to come visit while the kids are still small.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Sorry this happened to you. There is so much stress when you have to follow kids around like that and it could all be avoided so easily. And the visit would have been so much more enjoyable. Luckily it won't be that way forever as your children get older. Could your dad maybe help you by talking to your mom about this? Just one idea..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• All of our family is like this. My kids have destroyed stuff and they didn't hold it against me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't think they really wanted little kids as guests. You probably shouldn't be their houseguests until your kids are old enough that this is not a major issue.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• They should have put breakables away. In addition, a playpen would have worked to keep the little one away from things and would have meant that having to watch him all the time wouldn't be necessary.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2010