Not sure why this annoys me so much, but it really does...

Lose - You can lose your keys, lose weight, lose your mind, etc...

Loose - Your pants can be loose from weight loss, your shoe strings can be too loose from not tying them tight enough, etc...

Sorry, I am not the grammar police in any way, most misspellings, typos, and grammar mistakes do not bother me as I make them myself sometimes... but I see "loose" for "lose" every single day on this site and for some reason is just drives me crazy.

Does this bother anyone else and why do you suppose it is such a common mistake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Nope, doesn't bother me. I have too much going on in my life that bother me, I don't let these 'little' things get to me.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• pretty silly i agree,
    TERRIDAWN

Answer by TERRIDAWN at 9:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Doesn't bother my cause I make that mistake on a reguler basis, sometimes I forget the o.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think many people don't read things that have been proofread very often. The less exposure people have to good grammar and spelling, the less likely they are to have a picture in their minds of how things should be spelled.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's the same way with your and you're! I don't think you are foolish, but don't let it really bother you. I can appreciate what you're saying because I am a Teaching Assistant. It's incredible how many grown-ups do not use proper grammar!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Lose your keys is pronounced with the double oo sound, that could contribute to the error. Also, spell check won't pick it up because they are both correct in their own right.
    What really bothers me is "bring" and "take".
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I admit that I've done it a few times. I just forget which is which. I try to spell things correctly but spelling has always been my worst subject. And Phonics DOES NOT work for me. I wish they had done Drill with my generation like they did with my grandmothers, maybe I'ld be a walking dictionary too. I seriously wish I spelled everything right all the time but there is really nothing I can do.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Lots bother me on here but I try not to let it get in the way of reading and answering questions. I know I love to spell right but I will find that my computer has a mind of it's own and I'll be typing away and look and my cursor will be in another line and then I don't catch everything and I agree spell check won't correct some of those because they are spelled correctly. I think the one that really gets me though is There & their 2 different meanings
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yes, it does annoy me. Same with it's and its. And they're, their, and there. As well as the difference between when you should use "fewer" and "less." Like they toothpaste commercial where she says "See, a lot less germs" when it should be "See, a lot fewer germs." I do write for a living though and get these things drilled in my head daily by an editor...so I am hyper aware. lol
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• That bothers me too along with "too" and "to", "choose" and "chose". It's not a huge deal but it's irritating. I know we are all from different walks of life, but I just don't understand how these are so easily misspelled by adults! I get a lot of flack for being the "grammar police" but then it's usually the ones who misspell the words calling me that.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2010