What does "Hometown" really mean?

This has gone on before Facebook. My teenager and I can never agree what his "Hometown" is. We moved away from my hometown when my son was 3 1/2yrs old. We spent 3yrs in California before settling in North Texas. In Feb. it will be 14yrs since we moved, 11yrs here in North Texas. I think your hometown is where you grew up. The place you spent your childhood, which is here. But he thinks its where you were born, which is my hometown......... What do you think?

eluc

Asked by eluc at 9:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i consider it both, the place you were born & grew up. but, i also grew up & was born in the same town. otherwise i would probably just consider it the place i grew up, the place i would always call "home"
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Hometown is where you grew up and went to school at. IMO
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Actually, if you look it up in the dictionary, it is the town in which you were born, or grew up. So I guess you are both right.

I was born in one town, but moved when I was five, then again when I was 8. I call my hometown the place where I lived from 8 til I was 21. That is pretty much where I grew up and the place that helped shape me into who I am. I don't remember much about the place where I was born.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• For me my hometown is the place where I have felt most at "home". We moved around a lot when I was little and I never really felt at home in any of the towns I went to school at until we moved here. For my middle and high school years we moved again to a very close small town and I had that same "outsider" treatment and there is no way I would call that place my hometown, even though I lived there longest. I was so glad when hubby and I moved out of there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Both of you are right. Technically you're hometown is where you grew up, but it's also where you were born, where you're from... I'm not sure why this is something worth arguing over.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Back in my day (yeah, I'm old LOL) most people grew up where they were born. THAT was considered their hometown. In my case I was born in Honolulu cuz my daddy was stationed there with the navy. When he was through with the navy, he moved us back to where he & my mom were from, Tulsa. I was barely 3yo. All their family was there & I grew up, graduated, got married & had kids there. Although I've long since moved from OK, it is technically considered my hometown. Kids today, along with many adults, seem to consider where they live currently as their hometown. It's wierd. Cuz, to me, hometown is like home base in a tag game - it's where you started & where you tag up to be with your childhood history.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I consider my hometown the town in which I grew up.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I was born in Birmingham, England but I grew up in Montreal, Quebec.  I consider Montreal to be my hometown.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My hometown wouldn't be where I was born because I don't remember it. We moved before I was 5. So, I consider my hometown the place where I grew up and lived until I became an adult. I don't live there now. I've lived here the longest so this is "home."
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 1:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I consider it where you were born.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2010