how do you get powdered cocoa out of a beige carpet?

i have already vacuumed up all that i could, but still have a lot to get up. will it stain my carpet if i try a spot cleaner? it is in the middle of my livingroom floor thanks to my 7 and 9 y/o boys

tikasymom

Asked by tikasymom at 9:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Have you tried to vacuum it up with the hose? Brush your hand over it to help loosen up the powder. If you water it the chocolate will stain the carpet. I don't know what spot cleaner you use.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Try oxyclean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• This sounds like a candidate for:
    www.shitmykidsruined.com

Go back to the vacuum. Be sure to get all the way down to the bottom of the carpet, where some may have fallen & reappear every time that area gets wet. Protect the area so it doesn't get stepped on or worked in. Then call a professional and ask advice. I wouldn't apply ANY liquid unless recommended by pros. Do you have any pieces of extra carpet -- just in case?

Good Luck. :-\
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Girl when you find out.. please send me a message and let me know!! lol I have tried EVERYTHING on my carpet to get the cocoa out and all it seems to be doing is changing colors. It went from brown, to black, to now a navy blue color. I've tried vinegar, oxyclean, rented a rug doctor (not just for that one stain but for the house in general), and tried scrubbing with a very coarse brush with spray n wash. No improvement what so ever! That must be some strong stuff because every other stain has come off quite easily.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Have you tried cleaning out your vacuum? If a clean vacuum doesn't work, you might have to get a new vacuum.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I don't think anything will get it out. You might have to replace carpet if it bothers you.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Try Palmolive dish soap & a old tooth brush....put the dish soap on the tooth brush. Do Not get it wet with water... scrub in little circles. pat with a dry paper towel. repeat till you can get it up. it might take a bit. try a small area first & do a small part each time.so that it will not soak in to carpet...P.S. make sure it is the green Palmolive not the other ones..my 3 year old grandson spilled powdered cocoa on my kitchen carpet 3 weeks ago and it worked for me... also Palmolive will take out grass stains on shoes and in pants. if you do it the same way. hope it works for you. Once you have all the cocoa up then you can rinse with water......
    GrandmasHouse

Answer by GrandmasHouse at 1:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• oxyclean.. it may help
    jojo153

Answer by jojo153 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My dog got into a box of instant cocoa and left a huge mess all over my very light beige carpet!!!! First , don't panic. I used a little Dawn, a brush and scrubbed it. Next I used my Dirt Devil Spot Scubber. At this point it was light brown. As I said I have very light beige carpet so I mixed a little bleach with a lot of water and sprayed the spots. Rubbed with a white rag and ran the DD spot scrubber over the carpet one more time. You would never know I had a cocoa mess on my carpet.
    Marcott

Answer by Marcott at 11:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2014