Asperger's spike in 'bad' behavior... ???

In the last 5 days he has bitten his sister 2 times over nothing, had a 40 min melt-down (they usually in last 10 or so) and seems to be triggered very very easily. I have no idea what is going on!? How do I figure it out? He is 6.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Too much holiday excitement? Lack of a consistent routine, including bedtime? Too much change in the house, maybe due to the holiday?
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Is he having a growth spurt? This is always a possibility? How about meds? Does he take any? If he is, he may need a med check as things can stop working and need to be adjusted.

How is school going? Is anything agitating him there?

If you can't identify anything with any of these sources, then it could just be a cycling of emotions. I have found that sometimes there is no reason that one can pin point. It's just a cycle that needs to run it's course.
    It is still very important to give consequences for these behaviors. Aspergers may be the reason for the behaviors, but it shouldn't excuse the behaviors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• overly stimulated? holidays? Do you have family or friends coming? Any upset to his regular strutcture/routine?
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 11:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am trying to keep things as consistent as possible but at this rate I am ready to run away from home!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Oh he has consequences. He spent most the day in his room yesterday and this morning. He has lost video games, dessert and the ability to pick what special prize we send to school tomorrow for goody bags. (Not all at once over the last couple of days) He is not on meds. I am not ready for that approach. I know the nessesity is coming but I am trying modification first.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I just wanted to send you hugs ! I have three children with Autism and we go through these phases too !

ooooh, I can tell you one thing we discovered that might help...my son's spike in behaviour this past summer was due to an abcessed tooth....after surgery (tooth removed) he was best behaved we've ever seen him...things have been good for about 5 months now. But I do have to say holiday time sees all 3 of my kids experience huge amounts of anxiety...and it starts pretty much as soon as they see christmas stuff coming out in the stores !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

________________
    Awww... Hugs to you!! I totally understand that emotion! I understand the not medicating thing too. I was like that until my DS was 5. The most important thing is for you to realize that it is not because of you that this is happening. And that sometimes, there really isn't a reason that you will be able to see. My son is 11 and life is never dull or uninteresting.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• FXmom has a point.
    When my son is not feeling well, or has pain anywhere, he acts out as well. He will not just come out and tell me something is wrong, I have to ask him.
    Darn, forgot about that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• you may need to start him on some kind of med at this point if his "fits" have progess to that long a stage........when my 9yr ds starts showing signs of longer melt downs etc etc......he goes in for med checks and we find he has grown or gained weight and this causes the meds to be inafective and they need to be up just a tiny bit......good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son has a spike in naughtiness every time he makes a stride forward in his academics. its like one step forward,a half step back. Its like his brain has a problem processing the new knowledge.
    I have always refused the medication route for his autism.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2010