How do you hold a High Standard for you but not making anyone feel like they have to live that Standard?

But like still hanging out with them

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 10:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• by leading my example and forgiving when someone messes up , no ones perfect
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• That's pretty simple.. keep your relationship friendly and stay out of their business. If they want advice, they will ask for it.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If we are conversing about a lifestyle choice I will just end with that is the way I have decided to live or believe. Kind of like when I talk to someone who is religious. I will explain that I don't believe but I always say that that is my choice and beliefs.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Live your standards, don't talk about them. If they are doing something that would go against your standards, don't be involved.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Holding a standard for yourself doesn't mean you have to "push" it off onto other people. Hanging with friends doesn't have to be about "standards". It should be about doing thngs together, having fun & enjoying each other's company. This is rather a generalized answer, as you didn't state what standard you are talking about ie...type of friends, education, lifestyle, employment, etc. But, again, focus on the time you are spending with friends, what you're doing together & enjoy it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Live and let live. Live your life as you want and don't criticize anyone who doesn't do the same way.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• if I want a debate I come in here. I dont push my standards on anyone. Religion, politics, that sort of stuff. Now I have a co-worker who likes to cheat on her husband. I am cordial toward her, but we do not hang out together. Moral standards are something that I cant bend on. If she thought it was at lhe very least, wrong to cheat, I could live with that. But she has no problem with it, so other then work, I have nothing to do with her.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I hold myself to extremely high standards and I'm strict with myself morals wise. A lot of my friends.. not so much :) But I just live by example, never get preachy with them, and forgive them for their mistakes because we're all human. They SEE how I act and the inner joy I almost always have (I'm not always good at being super positive) and have made remarks about the things I say and do and have asked me a lot about it. Try to be understanding and be very careful not to "look down from your high horse" if that's the correct saying. Others will see how you live and will follow your example if you're patient.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010