9 month transition to daycare

I was home with my daughter until she was 5 months old and she has spent the past three months with my mom when I went back to work. We have never really had a reason yet to get her on a set schedule during the day. She has been sleeping through the night since she was just over 2 months old. Since then she has never really been a long napper. She typically goes to sleep after a bottle or is rocked to sleep before laying her down. She then only tends to nap 30-45 minutes. Sometimes she will wake up and fuss and we would need to hold her to get her back to sleep. I worry about her at daycare now because she lays down at a certain time for an hour. I know she cries and I am not completely against that, but I am new at this and don't know what I can do at home to help make her transition easier. Should we start laying her down awake at night and let her cry? If so, when is it okay to pick her up? How do I transition to that or is it okay to keep rocking her to sleep at night and just lay her down for naps? Any suggestions on how to get her to nap longer?

HoosierMom22

Asked by HoosierMom22 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My experience in working at a daycare is those kids will get rocked a little, but they can't possibly rock everyone.....but also they are very active and more tired...and may just fall asleep when "expected". Talk to her teacher about your concerns and what she recommends that you do at home.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• As an owner of a daycare in our babyroom 6weeks to 18 months the parents set the schedule and daily care plan. If your child needs to be rocked to sleep every effort should be made to make that happen if it is what the parent wants. I know you probably love that time cuddling and rocking her. My grandson lives with me and it's my favorite time of day. What I do is rock him until he is just about asleep and then lay him down. This way he falls asleep in the crib on his own. Sometimes he crys when layed down but I don't pick him up just talk softly to him and pat his back
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 2:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• good answer
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2010