I would LOVE to go run my errands but my son can't sem to get his panties out of a wad.

Any ideas? he has been in his room 'until he is calm and happy' off and on for the last hour or so. Now I won't even let him come out until I give the okay. It'a almost lunch time. Am I going to run my errands today!? For pete's sake I wanted to do a craft with him this evening and ha can't even act nice for more than 5 min the last 2 days. ::sigh::

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 10:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Shopping

• (I think it is going around~! Having that same issue with my three kids finally got 2 dressed and one in the shower...I'll be hopeful for you and you be hopful for me! LOL GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's always the days when you have something planned that they act like that =) Make a compromise and give him something that he wants for a little bit before shopping and and tell him about a little something he can do after as well- I always bribe with computer time
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Unfortunately Dad is in retail so he is at work for the next forever until January. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would do the craft as planned WITHOUT him. When he wants to know why he can't participate, I would tell him that his unfortunate behavior intruded on your desire to play with him. 'Maybe next time." That gives him a definitive "no" and teaches him a lesson right there, but also provides an opportunity for him to NOT behave that way in the future and that all is not lost.
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 11:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Mala. That would be all fine and normally what I would do but I am having him make ornaments for his teachers and riding instructors. This is the only day we have to get it done.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Add something to the craft time that will be for him and try to entice his good behavior so you can get to doing the crafts. Maybe stop for lunch at his favorite place? Or entice him with the pretty decorations (if any) where you have to run your errands? Just ideas.............GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If my child acts like that I may as well not even go out or I'll be in for tentrum tantrum one after another the whole time why torcher myself? Maybe he's getting sick or maybe just didn't get enough sleep or just don't want to go..whatever the case may be I'd be calling relatives for a sitter adn go do my errands..My now 8 yr old does that from time to time and I'd rather wait either until dad comes home from work or find someone to watch him otherwise it would ruin my day cuz I'd be spending my errand time in a bad mood
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• That saying "Panties in a wad" is so overused and so dumb. Sorry, but I find it so dumb.
    Chica.....it is TORTURE, not "torcher". LOL.
    My kids rarely had tantrums or meltdowns but I wouldn't take them with me if they were in a bad mood. I did my shopping or errands when my DH was home. Or when they were in school
    YOU can decide to make your life enjoyable or you can make it stressful. Its up to you.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son has melt-downs quite often this time of year seeing as he has Autism and we are totally screwing up his world. Though he has gotten loads better over the past year and he DOES have consequences for his melt-downs he will never be as perfect as yours and I'm okay with that. :0) It was just one of those days. It happens. We move on.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010