Answer ONLY IF you support the death penalty...

I ask that if you don't support the death penalty that you simply move on, because the question does not pertain to you. However should you wish to answer anyways please be respectful of those of us who do support DP.

I was watching some crime show last night and the guy was sentenced to something like 400 years, but his crimes didn't qualify him for DP. Now, my question is, should we have a year limit before it automatically becomes a DP? Obviously if someone is sentenced to 400 years they are going to die in prison anyways, so how is that NOT a death sentence anyways? Why pay to keep them there for the rest of their natural lives when they have no chance of freedom anyways? If their crimes were so bad that they are sentenced to an unnaturally long amount of years why not just put them on death row, where they obviously belong...

My second question is IF you agree with this line of thinking, what do you feel the "limit" of years should be? Should it be anything over "LIFE" or something else?

**I also want to say I know many of the people on Death Row aren't killed by the state but by old age anyways, but lets assume for a moment that the warrants are actually being signed and the system is put to work the way it should be...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally would rather they spend their entire lives miserable in jail then get an instant death. I am more of a fan of Jails becoming more like jails and less like low end resorts. Cable? Gym? shop? library? Really? Menu choices in some! It's JAIL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I say put them to death. The high years are an attempt to keep them from qualifying for parole after the states system sets it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• the resort like stuff of which you mention is only used for a few minutes, is very out of date and often doesn't work and under high watch. Its not as comfy as your making yourself envision. Sitting there staring at the walls is not healthy and total boredom will make them worse than when they were put there in the 1st place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• What I dont understand is why those on death row get to have reviews over and over again. Its interesting cause this pedifile was sentenced in 70's, not for the dp but for a long sentence and b/c he served his time he just got out. They said if he had been sentenced today for this crime, he never would have gotten out. So now we have another pedophile back on the streets and our children are at risk again. I know Im off topic but it just makes me so mad how our legal system works. DP, should mean what it says, not some sentence that will be a life thing. Only 1 yr for me, screw these guys and lets get some justice for the families for Gods sake!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Living in jail is still living - I think almost all people will choose life over death. I only believe in the DP if you can prove the crime was committed by the accused 100% or they have admitted guilt. I also think the crime should have to be violent and end the life of another human being. I am up in the air about the death penalty because it cost more than long term prison sentences too, because of all the legal processes and the lawyer fees.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's a waste of tax dollars keeping them alive so I say get them in line, and get it over with....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• There needs to be like a 5-10 year wait before they do the DP because sometimes innocent people do get sentenced. I'm all for it but if there is hard core evidence and ther person pleads guilty I say they should o straight to the table and get that needle in their arm. Why should be pay for a killer to live
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think anything over say 80 years should result in an automatic death penalty. And I do mean automatic. I am tired of these mean living out their lives on death row, especially when they plead guilty.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think their lives should definitely be shortened because by them getting a life sentence they're actually still hurting someone, us, everyone that pays taxes. Oh, and their deaths should be cheap.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I am torn. Most of me thinks that more strict parole qualifications, more harsh living conditions and went back to a more harsh environment in general. At the same time Tax payers are paying for all of them to live... But if it was more harsh and harder to get parole would there be as many there?...If so would it cost less to maintain a minimum resources to stay alive facility...? I just don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2010