Is 2 months off for maternity leave enough?

With my first I had a whole 2yrs off as a stay at home mom. Now, I am uncertain of how much time is enough. I dont like the idea of leaving a newborn (2month old) off to daycare. BUT my job offers 2 months with some pay. Is that enough time?

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• To me that is not enough time so I always take a loa after my maternity leave to spend more time with my little one.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 10:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• To heal yes. You can return to work in 6 weeks. I took 7 weeks with my son because It's all the pay I had and DH was out of work. I HAD to go back. With DDI took 12 weeks and could not be happier with that choice. It's about what you can do. If all you can do is 2 months then that's all you can do. Is going back part-time for another couple of months an option? It could be a compromise if it would work for you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:49 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Depends on the person. I would have loved to becomes a SAHM right after my oldest was born but went back after 12 weeks and my granny took care of him...it was still hard but doable
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• When I had my daughter I was only given 6 weeks of paid maternity leave. If I didn't HAVE to go back to work then I definitely would have either took a longer leave or put in a resignation.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I took off 6 weeks for my now 8 month old.
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 11:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Sounds long enough to me. When I was working while I was pregnant they didnt even offer leave. They said I had to return to work the day after I got home. But I was put on bed rest and they fired me right after that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Mommy of two- Was this before the family act? It's not legal to fire someone over child birth!? They have to give you 12 weeks (unpaid) leave for the birth or adoption of a new child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• i went to work when my daughter was 12 weeks
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I think that 12 weeks of FMLA is required by law. And they can't fire you.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• It's nice that your employer is giving you 8 weeks paid maternity leave you don't hear that often, but the FMLA states that you can take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for the birth of a child...so I guess it depends on your situation. If you can afford the extra time off, maybe you should consider staying at home a little longer. Or perhaps do part-time as was mentioned above. Good luck and congrats!
    Nawti

Answer by Nawti at 12:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010